Supporting our local dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.4 is still too high for the active portion of OC diving, but otherwise I agree
I can understand your POV, but that's the value set by the industry.

Something to think about in terms of helping a LDS. We had one suddenly close. Any air fill cards were worthless. If you had equipment at the shop and could prove it was yours you got it back. If you had paid for stuff and not got it yet you lost the money. You were able to get some cert cards because it was PADI and the instructors could work as independents at their own expense.

Not saying don't do something to help but it should be disposable money.

Something similar has been happening with a lot of bridal shops lately (over the last year or two). A bunch of places declared bankruptcy and all items in the store, even customers dresses, got swept up into the bankruptcy as assets and a bunch of people had to fight to get their property, which in some cases took a long time or is still ongoing. Dresses that had been taken in for last minute alterations were almost impossible to retrieve in time for weddings.
I don't think any local shops would deliberately do something like this to their customers but if a business goes into bankruptcy the owners and employees may have their hands tied so any gear in for servicing etc could end up similarly stuck.

Recreational nitrox can be summarized as follows:
1) Choosing a max ppO2 (typically 1.4 for OC active, 1.6 for deco - but that's for later)
2) Calculating the MOD based on (1) and adhering to it
3) Programming a DC for the gas oxygen content and the max ppO2.
4) Calibrating an O2 gauge and then measuring a cylinder
5) Labeling measured cylinder
6) Recording parameters (o2%, MOD, cylinder information, etc.) in log at gas provider
7) monitor accumulative o2 exposure (for rec divers, this requires A LOT of diving)

While I don't think that 10 minutes is enough, I do think that some background is important (EAD for example; oxtox is a function of time, ppO2, and genetics; etc.). But in reality, the items above is pretty much what people are going to take away from a course. We hopefully can agree that there are risk factors in not adhering to industry practices.
Realistically for recreational divers
1) Know that there is a MOD for each mix and memorize the 1.4 MOD for 32 and 36
2) Learn how to program your mix into your dive computer. (Do courses teach this?)
3) Know that analyzers need calibrated and read a cylinder
This is more than almost all the nitrox divers I see actually know. I see lots of them that have no interest in retesting the tank they are going to breath and too many of them are not aware that you should not recalibrate an analyzer right after measuring a nitrox tank.

I studied all the rest, learned it carefully, and started mixing and diving nitrox long before I got certified. I studied accumulative O2 exposure and determined that I could never dive enough to need to watch that. For recreational divers (single tank, no deco, 130' max) there is no way for them to get into trouble diving 32%. You simply can't stay at depth long enough on a single tank of 32% to run into trouble with oxtox. The population of recreational divers that follow those 3 rules would be much safer diving 32% than diving air. Someone will argue that but they will have to tell me how many people have toxed on 32% while following single tank, no deco, 130' max.

I'm pretty sure that someday in Cozumel I will see somebody besides the people in my group analyze their tank. That part I believe in because I am depending on the mix to keep me out of DCS.

As much as I find the nitrox discussion fascinating, let's stay on topic.

For the original topic, I'm going to pick up a water bottle and get some stuff serviced to help my shop out.

well you can cert a student over Skype I wont ....I wouldn't want to test out teaching it over Skype in court ...maybe im just paranoid but I just like to watch my student do it with blends I have made ......maybe after 35 years of teaching im just a dinosaur..............

plus I WOULDNT teach my instructors to do it on an IDC

Not much I can do for my LDS. Following the Governor's order, they have closed. I was wondering if they would fall under the essential public service as they assist/augment/supply the PSD/Fire/Police dive teams. Seems not so..

all you can do is , when things go back to normal , maybe buy some gear you have been putting off (when the cash flows again )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom