Surface oxygen and the risk of O2 toxicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,
Over the past two days, we've treated two separate divers with decompression illness. They had both decompressed using hyperoxic mixes (one with 40% N2O2, the other with 100% O2) and surfaced with symptoms of DCI. They both initially attributed their symptoms to CNS O2 toxicity and refused surface oxygen for fear of making their "O2 toxicity" worse.

This may be an indicator of a larger knowledge deficit among divers. Below, I've excerpted a post from our Facebook page. The site won't let me post a link because I have less than five posts. [mod edit - FB link: Facebook - Duke Diving]

Diver number 1: a middle-aged male with 30 years' diving experience who made two spearfishing dives on nitrox. The dives: 134'/34 minutes on 30.8% nitrox with a 5 minute stop at 15 feet using 40% nitrox. He had a 2 1/2 hour surface interval followed by a second dive, 124'/37 minutes, also on 30.8% nitrox. On his second dive, he reported that his ascent alarms were flashing while he was surfacing with a fish. He put the fish in the boat and returned to 15', where he completed a 5 minute stop, again on 40% nitrox. He reported swimming against the current and exerting himself more than normal but did not report any unusual symptoms during the dive. Following the dive, he experienced symptoms of spinal cord decompression sickness (tingling and weakness in both legs). He refused surface oxygen because he thought his symptoms were due to O2 toxicity. Of note, his calculated pO2 for his bottom mix at the deeper depth, 134 feet, was 1.56 ATA. This exceeds the normal recommended maximum pO2 of 1.2 ATA.
Diver number 2: a slightly younger man diving for shark's teeth. The dives: 106'/85 minutes using compressed air, with decompression on 100% O2 using his computer. He had a 90 minute surface interval, followed by a second dive to 106', this time with a bottom time of 100 minutes, again with decompression on 100% O2 per his computer. He reported no problems on his dive but surfaced with symptoms of inner ear decompression sickness (nausea, vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss). He also refused surface O2 for fear of oxygen toxicity.

Discussion: both divers were treated here at Duke within one day of one another. Both had been breathing hyperoxic decompression gases, both had decompression sickness, and both feared oxygen toxicity from surface O2.

Symptoms of central nervous system O2 toxicity can be remembered using the acronym "VENTTID/C".
V: Vision. Blurred or tunnel vision, or other visual disturbances.
E: Ears. Ringing or roaring in the ears.
N: Nausea.
T: Twitching of the muscles, usually the facial muscles.
T: Tingling in the extremities, typically the fingers and toes.
I: Irritability. Any personality change.
D: Dizziness.
C: Convulsions.

CNS O2 toxicity is dependent on two things: the partial pressure of O2, and the length of exposure. The higher the partial pressure of O2, the shorter the exposure necessary to bring about O2 toxicity. It's generally agreed that the threshold pO2 for a risk of CNS O2 toxicity is 1.6 atmospheres absolute (ATA). In other words, when the pO2 in a diver's breathing gas reaches 1.6 ATA, there is a risk of O2 toxicity. The risk rapidly diminishes when the partial pressure of O2 decreases.

There is NO risk of CNS oxygen toxicity when breathing 100% oxygen on the surface. Even if a diver did experience O2 toxicity at depth, breathing surface oxygen would not cause it to return. If a symptom like those described above persists after a dive, it is NOT due to oxygen toxicity. In both of the above cases, the divers were deprived of the benefit of surface O2 due to a deficit in their knowledge.

Divers, please pass this information along. Administration of surface oxygen in a diver with DCS has been shown to improve outcome. A diver is NOT at risk of CNS oxygen toxicity when breathing surface O2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if either of these divers had been through decompression or advanced nitrox (for diver 2) taining? I'm guessing no given their decision to refuse O2 on the surface, but you never know.

Did Diver 1 suffer DCS or O2 toxicity or is that unknown? I am guessing DCS because his symptoms persisted.?

Why did diver #2 think he had O2 toxicity when he was diving air? I know he was doing his deco on O2 but I assume that was shallow.

Did Diver 1 suffer DCS or O2 toxicity or is that unknown? I am guessing DCS because his symptoms persisted.?

DCS in both cases...

"...both had decompression sickness, and both feared oxygen toxicity from surface O2."

Why did diver #2 think he had O2 toxicity when he was diving air? I know he was doing his deco on O2 but I assume that was shallow.

I had a conversation with a very busy chamber expert about a year ago and he was telling me that there are a large number of divers out there doing some pretty serious deco diving and just 'winging it.' No formal training (some of them aren't even OW trained), no tables, no computers, and no redundancy in their gear. Many of them either make up their own system or they subscribe to the "ascend slower than your bubbles" system. For most of them diving is just a means to some other end (spear fishing in many cases). They don't have much interest in diving itself. The chamber operator said that no matter how ridiculous their dive profiles are, the divers always seemed to be surprised (or in complete denial) that they got a DCS hit. That may not have been the case in the situations above, but if I had to bet...

Anyway, if someone is in denial that their dive plan could have resulted in DCS they might be left to believe it's oxygen toxicity.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if either of these divers had been through decompression or advanced nitrox (for diver 2) taining? I'm guessing no given their decision to refuse O2 on the surface, but you never know.

Diver 2 had been through a TDI course. I don't know about Diver 1. The fact that both of them said the same thing, even though they're from different backgrounds, made us stop and take notice.

Somebody in another forum caught my typo on the recommendation for max pO2 - it should read 1.4 vice 1.2. We normally follow the recommendations of the U.S. Navy Diving Manual.

DCS in both cases...

"...both had decompression sickness, and both feared oxygen toxicity from surface O2."

I had a conversation with a very busy chamber expert about a year ago and he was telling me that there are a large number of divers out there doing some pretty serious deco diving and just 'winging it.' No formal training (some of them aren't even OW trained), no tables, no computers, and no redundancy in their gear. Many of them either make up their own system or they subscribe to the "ascend slower than your bubbles" system. For most of them diving is just a means to some other end (spear fishing in many cases). They don't have much interest in diving itself. The chamber operator said that no matter how ridiculous their dive profiles are, the divers always seemed to be surprised (or in complete denial) that they got a DCS hit. That may not have been the case in the situations above, but if I had to bet...

Anyway, if someone is in denial that their dive plan could have resulted in DCS they might be left to believe it's oxygen toxicity.

We almost always hear from divers, "But the computer said it was OK". We don't normally question them on their level of training, we just provide education on what, if anything, may have gone wrong. We do see a sizable number of what we'd call "undeserved" hits, that is, divers who were either within the no D limits or correctly followed their deco computers.

"But the computer said it was OK". QUOTE]

I'd expect the percentage of divers you hear this from will keep increasing given that:
Presently at least one agency does computer only nitrox training, IE no tables.
There seems to be a shift away from the tables for recreational divers.
Dive Computers are getting cheaper and more functional

Computers aren't the issue here as they could have just as easily said "according to the tables"

In these type cases, having a computer involved should offer advantages for investigators, as the logs will provide the realtime view of exposures that lead up to the event.

I think a large part of the problem is that the industry as a whole has been overselling the dangers of oxygen so that a lot of divers see various guidelines, be it 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 (resting), 2.0 (emergency), or whatever, as cliff edges that will instantly kill you whereas the industry now seems to be soft-pedaling DCS as a serious hazard, with the idea that, "what's the worst thing that can happen? A little O2, a run in the chamber and you'll be right as rain!"

Oxtox and DCS are potentially serious problems that should be kept at bay rather easily.

Thank you Duke for this information. I found it very interesting, I could understand the concern of the divers. I was always taught that giving O2 as treatment at the surface generally can only help not hurt, its good to know that also applies to CNS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom