Surprise observation in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a matter of time unfortunately :( I’m afraid it won’t be long they would catch up to Palau demise. So, go there before it’s too late.
Is Palau that bad today?

I’ Looking to do both RA and Palau next year in January and March. Should I do RA in January and Palau in March, or Palau in January and RA in March?

It’s more beat up than Raja Ampat. That’s all I can tell you. I have only been to Palau once, last December. Check out my trip report: December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report

Raja Ampat is a newer diving destination than Palau. Liveaboards going to Raja Ampat may be started about 10-15 years after Sam’s Tour open.

Still good enough to be one of your top two liveaboard trips! Impressive!

It’s more beat up than Raja Ampat. That’s all I can tell you. I have only been to Palau once, last December. Check out my trip report: December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report

Raja Ampat is a newer diving destination than Palau. Liveaboards going to Raja Ampat may be started about 10-15 years after Sam’s Tour open.
Thanks - you seem very well traveled. I've only done Carribean diving so far and want to do at least one live aboard trip somewhere else next year. I've seen amazing videos of Palau, Raja Ampat and Socorro - which would you recommend to start with?

Which is a good thing IMO. You do not want masses of divers on the reefs.

The diving masses have been visiting Palau for many years. Regardless, the Islands offer very nice diving and easy access.

Last edited:
Different clientele. Raja is harder to get to, and attracts more serious and experienced divers (although it is getting seriously overcrowded at some sites these days - should be renamed No Manta Sandy). Palau is a lot more convenient to get to, and has a much more varied tourism market.

I’ Looking to do both RA and Palau next year in January and March. Should I do RA in January and Palau in March, or Palau in January and RA in March?

RA is better in January. I’ve been there 6 times (January, April, May, November & December twice).

Reactions: CWK
Thanks - you seem very well traveled. I've only done Carribean diving so far and want to do at least one live aboard trip somewhere else next year. I've seen amazing videos of Palau, Raja Ampat and Socorro - which would you recommend to start with?

I’ll be in Socorro for 1st time in this coming December, so I can’t compare it with the other destinations.

If you go with Palau Aggressor II, you won’t be disappointed. I just don’t like the cattle-drive style of diving though (18 divers / 2 guides with one lead guide & tail guide behind the herd of divers, rounding up the stragglers). I prefer the 4 divers to 1 guide ratio done in Raja Ampat (safer & you get more attention, especially the newbies).

Flight cost needs to be considered too. I spent about $1600 on my flight from Houston to Koror and $1000 from Houston to Sorong. Flying from Houston to San Jose Del Cabo is short & cheap (2 hours & $400) but the 24-hour boat ride to Socorro may be a drag if the weather is bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom