Survey of adaptive buoyancy control devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dmitry Knyazev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello to all!
I am preparing an survey of adaptive buoyancy control devices.
This survey is designed to help instructors and divers with special needs. It would be useful to introduce a wide range of solutions.
For example, I used AQUA LUNG AXIOM I3 for a diver with amputation of the hand (we replaced the usual lever with a long one) and for a diver with myopathy.
I would appreciate information about the solutions you use or know.
Thank you!

I only know a diver that uses an I3 becuase of not able to use a normal inflator. We now try to change this bcd into a sidemount bcd for technical diving.

some of the Zeagle models are able to be switched to right side inflate - the ones with the top right dump like the Ranger.

If DSS is still in business, some of their wings had the inflator centered in the back so the hose could go down either side.

I can not imagine BCD types, that could not be used by divers with disabilities.
Just one case - when diver has not both hands. In this case anyway required other divers assistant, and does not matter, what kind of BCD used. (But I think systems, like УГК (UGK) dry suits could be used well - dry suits with helmet and mouthpiece, where you can inflate and deflate by nose)

Most of BCD has second dump valve on the right shoulder, and could be changed with inflator, for right handed people.
But better to use - BP/W (back plate with wing), where Wing has niflator connection in the middle, just behing the neck.
This types of compensators allow to place inflator as from the left, also from the right sides.
But - it is not a big problem to use left-sided inflator by right hand :) I did it many times :) e.g. when you left hand busy by something, and you have not time to change it, or just lazy to do. Just take inflator by right hand and use... It is easy.

One notice: Inflator control is better to use like from modern technical compensators, symmetric for left and right sides, like
DX-202930_1.png

Hello to all!
I am preparing an survey of adaptive buoyancy control devices.
This survey is designed to help instructors and divers with special needs. It would be useful to introduce a wide range of solutions.
For example, I used AQUA LUNG AXIOM I3 for a diver with amputation of the hand (we replaced the usual lever with a long one) and for a diver with myopathy.
I would appreciate information about the solutions you use or know.
Thank you!

Hi there, adaptive could mean a whole lot of things here.
Flight control systems can be helpful
right hand deflator tube and valves on right hand side for left arm amputee is possible. or hemi plegic .
some of my adaptive divers use normal BCD's , they just use both hands to operate (MS diver )
email me on deanconde@gmail.com for more communication.

With only one arm the diver is easily able to operate any bcd

also an extra bottom or shoulder dump fitting may be added

dx-202920_1_1.jpg

BCD Parts and Components | Dive Gear Express®

by a competent installer

some of the Zeagle models are able to be switched to right side inflate - the ones with the top right dump like the Ranger.

You will find the only right dump Zeagle Rangers are those with dual separate wings
with hose on left standard ranger and with the added second wing with hose on right

You will find the only right dump Zeagle Rangers are those with dual separate wings
with hose on left standard ranger and with the added second wing with hose on right
I forgot to mention - mine is an LTD
We have also added a right-hand shoulder dump with a pull knob located conveniently on the inside edge of the right shoulder pad.

Back
Top Bottom