Suunto computer reading wrong depth

Have you had a Suunto dive computer indicate the wrong depth?

• I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 36 48.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stinger pretty much matched my old cobra within a foot.

Actually, my wrist mounted is nearly always a foot lower. My Cobra is clipped to my chest D-Ring and(if I am swimming right) should never be near the dirt. My wrist mounted is attached the hand that reaches into places to tie things off, picks up cans and such off the bottom, etc. Sometimes it actually gets near the bottom. But if it is by more than a foot, I know that I went vertical someplace where I shouldn't have. But, I know, I am just stating the obvious.:)

For the most part, barring a complete malfunction (which I have mentioned in other posts), I have never had a problem with the depth gauge on the Suunto computers.

Noticed yesterday that my D3 read up to 4' less than my old oceanic at depth (93' vs. 97').

Last trip to Cozumel, on first dive at 60 ft bottom the Mosquito was reading 110. On surfacing, it still read 50 fsw. When we got back to the room, I reset by taking out the battery. It worked fine after that.
dnhill

Yeah, we have had two Mosquito's and one Stinger that we have sent back that is in dive mode at the surface...

AT surface, displays 40' or something, and is still calculating the dive...

We sent them back, and they replaced them... However, I have a Stinger, with over 100 dives on it, and its never done that to me. My Stinger is always within a foot of my cobra (thats just because the cobra is clipped off a little lower than the Stinger on my wrist) duh...

But, anyways, I think I am going with a VYper for my backup gauge from now on... Stinger will be relegated for tropical diving only...

Had a depth reading problem with a Cobra when it was new. Sent it back to SUUNTO who claimed they found no problem and also claimed they didn't fix it - but it's never been off again after it came back.
Rick

Looks like a lot of people have problems with the small suunto's according to this poll. 1/3 of people who own a small one have had a problem.

In comparison, only 1/14th of the people with the large suunto's have this problem.

I like the small suunto's they are really cool....but IMO they are unreliable.

A friend's Vytec went haywire during a dive. Still was indicating ~90ft on surface afterwards...

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Looks like a lot of people have problems with the small suunto's according to this poll. 1/3 of people who own a small one have had a problem.

In comparison, only 1/14th of the people with the large suunto's have this problem.

I like the small suunto's they are really cool....but IMO they are unreliable.

Maybe...but I wouldn't blanket them all as bad. Anyone who has had a problem with their comp and noticed this thread is going to comment. I'm sure the numbers of people who didn't have any problems but didn't post are much higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom