Suunto D4 color replacement strap . Do they fail at the same rate of original ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am writing this as today, my supposedly improved strap broke, just 13 months after I received it as a replacement for the previous one. This is now the FOUTH strap to break in five years! My father has a casio watch he has had for 20+ years and he loves to tell me how he has only replaced the strap twice in that time. Thought a well respected company would have sorted this out by now. My gekko, which i gave to my partner still has the original strap and its almost 7 years old! This really is getting tiresome Suunto, please sort it out!!!!

Kevin

Koh Lanta
Thailand

Last edited:
Well I have just had an email back from Suunto.

"We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you've been through. As you already must know, the warranty for Suunto accessories is of 1 year. We would kindly recommend to purchase another strap for your Suunto D4"

So 13 months since I recieved the strap which they claimed was the new improved quality one and it broke, but thats great because its outside the warrenty and they dont give a damn, and have no responsiblity for it.

DO NOT BUY THESE COMPUTERS UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE YEARS OF HASSLE AND EXTRA EXPENSE. Just about all other makes of computers do not appear to have this reoccuring problem with something as basic as a strap. (and yes I already know people with D4i's that they too are already experiencing this problem). Steer well clear!!!!

Kev Skellern,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. You said that your band was purchased 13 months ago. Is there any possibility that you can retrieve a copy of your receipt for the strap?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hey Kev,
I cant help you out because Tibby-Adapters doesn't make an adapter for the D4,
However I do know of an Alternate strap that ends up costing about the same as the Suunto original, after shipping etc, but it's made out of a much better material.
They are out of a company in Japan, so you need to use a re-shipper, but according to people I have sent there, its not too difficult.
Check out the Alternate strap for the Suunto D4?D4i here: [url]http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/aqros/item/80907095/[/URL]

Cheers
Duke

Hello Chris@Suunto, (or anyone else who knows the answer)

I have question. My D4 strap is not what it once was anymore (no problem so far, I bought it second hand, I'm sorry :D), so I'm going to replace it. I was searching the internet for an online dealer and stumbled upon the D4i NOVO and, ofcourse, the strap.

It may not be designed for the original D4i, but does the new D4i NOVO strap fit the 'old' D4i? For it is even newer than the re-designed 'old' strap I was hoping that the NOVO strap would also even more dureable than the newest version of the 'old' strap.

Thanks for your answer!

Wout3r,

The new D4i Nova silicone straps will fit on any D4 / D4i model. The silicone straps are made to fit exactly the same as the old straps, but made of an entirely different material. Silicone is a much more durable material then that of the previous straps, with an added benefit of extra comfort on the wrist as well.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Best Regards,

I own 4 suunto computers, among them a d4. I have trusted and dived with them for 14 years, 11 of those as a pro. But when my IDC candidates ask me for advice on what computer to buy, I always recommend avoiding the d-series suuntos because of their terrible straps. I have replaced my d4 strap 3 times, as has my partner. the computers spend most of their time sitting on my work bench (I'm also a service technician) waiting for the next strap to be fitted. I've gone through original straps, and "New improved" straps. they all break. I would love to be able to recommend th d series the way I do my other suuntos, but I can't in good conscience. A friend it's fabricating an alternative, metal clasp mechanism. until then, the d4 will sit on the bench. And my students will buy uwatecs.

Chris, another gripe I have is over either my battery sensor or battery quality. I had a new battery installed by Suunto in the UK last May and I have had sporadic battery warning symbols since December and then on Friday it said battery was low before a dive. After surface interval, it said battery was okay. So, I've had to fork out £30 on a new strap spent £45 on a new battery which doesn't seem to want to last 1 year!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Flash_Gordon,

How old is your computer and what model is it? How many dives have you put on your computer since the last service?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Dear Divers,

very soon, I will come out with an adapter for Suunto D4/D4i to fit zulu/nato and virtually any type of strap that adapts spring bar system. My strap was broken during my trip to tulamben, bali. I was lucky that it fell off at the dive centre. conclusion... no more suunto strap! Please wait for Bagus Adapter !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom