Suunto D4i Settlement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I am curious if you sent the item to Suunto outside of the US, to Suunto inside the US, or to an Authorized Service Center in the US that is NOT actually Suunto owned and managed.

Also, I noticed one significant item of note in your description of the history of your D9. While your original purchase was made in the US, it was replaced at some point by Suunto outside of the US. I know that the US operation has complete records for each serial number that was shipped to the US and distributed to US retailers for sale. But yours would NOT be on that US shipped serial number list. No idea how detailed those other worldwide corporate records are to tell the story of the pedigree on your problem unit.

But if you haven't already, be sure to communicate that distinction to them - that the serial number you own is no longer the serial number that was originally purchased in the US. That might help them to access a different set of records, or to see your case in a different light. Better yet is if you have documentation for that other warranty replacement.

Again, your logic and basic assumptions are ALL very sound BUT UNFORTUNATELY have not been applied bu SUUNTO in my case!

Yes, my situation was a bit irregular in that I sent the defective D9 from Europe to USA Suunto HQ (OGDEN, UT), where they promptly LOST it for several months (see previous). During that time I received at least 3 calls while abroad accusing me of not sending it or simply being rude in assuming I sent to the wrong address etc...this was AFTER the website showed the unit as "being received". A perfect example of the "right hand not knowing the left"!!

While it is true that the D9 that failed was a warranty replacement and had lasted 7 years it was never mentioned during the entire communications exchange with Suunto USA. Furthermore, the ONLY excuse that was given for my having to pay for a replacement was that my unit was out of warranty AND that the D9 is not a current model.

Your arguments, (while logical and reasonable) WERE NOT made mention of as "reasons" for not being issued a new unit for free...in hindsight I COULD HAVE pressed a bit more on this but after 3 MONTHS of dealing with them I had enough and just wanted a resolution.

Paying $700+ for the DX with Ti band MAY have been a fair deal but again I don't do rebreathers so to save on cost I chose the D6i to keep the cost under $400....again in retrospect I could have argued my point further but at a certain point your time becomes MORE valuable than the effort and upset it's causing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom