Suunto D5 - rant thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George.S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well i have no clue how to go about this so i'll just get right to this:

I just had my first 2 dives with the D5, everything is lovely EXCEPT, there is no way (or if there is i have not figured out how) to have everything that is displayed on the D6i, on at the same time.
I would like to have:

Tank pressure, depth, NDL and gas time on at the same time.

The D5 displays everything you could ever want (and more) but you can't have it displayed at the same time. You have to click through a hundred things, which, although nice makes you focus on a piece of tech instead of diving.

The D6i would have just displayed all these at once on a much smaller and simpler screen.

As i said this is a rant that i had to share with somebody and maybe help someone else that is looking at the D5 but still has questions.

This is the first computer i buy without trying in the water - also the last one.

Because i live in a country where the dive industry is small to say at best there is no real Shearwater distributor here. I will other try to get the D5 customized to show what i want - after i write to Suunto about it or just sell the D5 and get something else after i get in the water.

In hindsight i'm really surprised that after all the reviews and time in the water nobody has come to the conclusion i came with in 2 dives...

Anyway, if somebody from Suunto is still listening here - just let me customize everything about the watch faces since anyway the hardware inside is powerful enough to run all of these calculations....

@George.S

It’s on page 48 of the manual. You connect to DM5 at you can customise all the settings and which order you’d like them and which to display

Something not possible with the Shearwater’s

@George.S

It’s on page 48 of the manual. You connect to DM5 at you can customise all the settings and which order you’d like them and which to display

Something not possible with the Shearwater’s

100% Correct! You can't customize all the settings and in which order you'd like then displayed with the computer software. You can do all that customizing right on the Teric itself.

Yes, well, i did - it doesn't really let you configure "everything" you can only configure the last line - i'll post a screenshot tomorrow - i left the data cable plugged in my office laptop

What would really be nice would be a real customization of the watch faces

Later Edit:
You can really only change what is displayed in the lower (blue) line - you have to click through this line to change what is there.
I would like to have NDL instead of dive time displayed on the watch faces as i REALLY don't care if i'm 4 or 40 minutes into my dive, but i'd sure love to know when i have 2 minutes left of my NDL...

Attachments

• easy-to-read-final-d5.png
    easy-to-read-final-d5.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 260
Suunto and dive computers in the same sentence has always been a no-no. Why should the D5 change a long tradition of things with unwanted options, horrible conservatism and miserable reliability?
Living in the EU why don't you buy an OSTC, Divesoft Freedom, or any other fine EU made tech computer?
Great products from the Czech republic, Germany, Poland and Slovenia.

ong tradition of things with unwanted options, horrible conservatism and miserable reliability?
Hmm - So I have an Eon, 5 years old, 800 dives - just a pressure sensor failure (My wife has the same model, same age 700 dive, no issues)
Options - I can more highly customise what I want and don't want, than any other computer (I've put 220 dives on my Perdix and 100 Dives on an OSTC Plus which was loaned to me)

As for conservatism - P-2 the least conservative setting, is marginally less conservative than 45/95 - I hang around waiting for the Perdix to clear. THE D5 sports Fused RGMB 2 (Coming to the Eon later this year) which is less conservative still.

I suggest you're not up to date

Back
Top Bottom