Suunto D6 not D6i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've had my Suunto D6 with silver strap for just over 5 years. I'm a dive professional so use it nearly everyday. During this time It's had three battery changes and Suunto were nice enough to replace the complete module due to a fault.
Recently I sent my dive computer away for the fourth battery change. The low battery sign was displayed, but everything else had been fine. I have a back up computer on the same algorithm and they have both been reading the same time, depth and NDL. On Koh Tao, the battery change takes two weeks because it 'has' to get sent away to Phuket. But two weeks is really excessive. (We have over 70 dive shops on the island and sell hundreds of Suunto computers every year. You would think they would have a service centre on the island?)
After a week I received a message from the dive shop who sent my computer away for repair, informing me that the module needs replacing again. But, they don't have the D6 module anymore, so I would have to pay for a D6i module to be put in. I like my computer, it was a present. But for the same price of just the module I can get a Zoop or another brand of computer on the same level for the same price. And I can change the battery myself. No two weeks without my computer.
After a long time navigating through Suunto's website I found what I thought was the correct email address to send an enquiry too. I filled in my information and cut and paste the message I received from the dive shop. I thought for over two weeks that I may have sent my information and enquiry to the wrong email address.
Then I received a confirmation and a enquiry number informing me that they had received my message and are dealing with it. Another week later I received a email from Suunto. Not about my computer. It was a customer service survey. I answered the survey, but gave them the appropriate low scores and an explanation why on every category. I explained that I had waited over two weeks for any confirmation. Then mentioned I still haven't received a reply, but you've had time to send me a survey? Two days later I received this email from customer support team.

We have the reply from our APAC service center and they suggest you to discuss this possibility with (the dive shop) Thailand, Suunto distributor of Dive Computers in Thailand.

Have a nice day.
Sincerely,

Suunto Customer Support Team

I sent a reply reminding them that, the reason I contacted Suunto directly was due to the lack of a satisfactory solution from the dive shop.
And I still haven't received any reply.
So any Suunto dive computers before the D6i are beyond repair if you have problems with the module. This was the second replacement for mine. So if you own one or buying second hand be careful, a secondhand bargain might turn out to be another good looking watch sitting on the shelf at home.

Yesterday I received another email from Suunto customer services.

Along with a cryptic 4 point, detailed instruction list on how to post the computer to their Hong Kong service centre, was this information.

To send the device to our service center you would have to shoulder for the shipping cost and you may choose your own courier.
(Note: Minimum repair cost is 45 USD.)

As I mentioned before. I live on a small island and our postal service isn't known for its reliability. I would have to visit the mainland for a more reputable courier service. My next visit to the mainland is in two and a half months.

Paying for the postage and a minimum service charge. Just to be told they don't have the D6 module anymore and I need to buy the D6i upgrade makes no sense. What is the difference between the Hong Kong service centre and the one in Phuket?

If the replaced module failed, why dont they have replacements anymore? Is this a common problem? The computer has never flooded. Only Suunto's Phuket service centre has ever replaced the module and batteries.
In the past Suunto have replaced failed models with the latest module for my fellow dive professionals.
I have been recommending Suunto computers for several years. Mainly because of our location and their customer service. Only to be let down by them myself.

It looks like I'll be without my computer for four to five months. Just to be told they don't have D6 modules anymore, and I have to buy the D6i module.
I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Suunto's customer service is reportedly horrible. Just read the posts here on SB over the years.

It seems reasonable that at some point after they stopped producing the D6 that they would also stop producing replacement parts, such as the "module." My D6 is eight years old, and it served me well. Other than routine battery replacement, which I let the authorized service center do, it gave me no trouble. Now that it is in need of yet another battery replacement I am thinking it is time to simply retire it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom