Suunto D9 Self Battery Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure Pro Brett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My D9 has served me well over the past few years, but unfortunately the battery is just about toast. To further throw a wrench into things, I have a dive coming up and don't think I will be able to get the watch to Aqualung in time to have it back for the dive. So the question of the day is has anyone opened up a D9 themselves to change the battery? What kind of battery does it take? I am usually not afraid in the least to open up a computer and change the battery, I've done it hundreds of times on many non user changeable computers. The problem I have is that none of those computers were my only computer (like my D9 is now), and none of them were as expensive as the D9. I would hate to flood the thing, I could just go with gauges if my computer is not back, but I'm such a tinkerer I would love to take care of this myself. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

The battery spec is not a secret at all.

It is a High capacity CR2450 battery. The battery kit comes with one battery and one O-ring. I don't get it yet, but it isn't a big deal to find out O-ring spec within a sec.

You need to have a special wrench for D9, D6, and D4. It only takes five min. to replace the battery. Unlike Aqualung U.S., it used to be replaced over the counter in third world county.

I am wondering if you can deal with Aqualung U.S.A directly as a LP employee. We expect that your customer service must have a special service wrench for Suunto computer. Otherwise, you send it back through your source to get the battery service?

Hoosier,

I do have a wrench to open it up and I can get it back to Aqualung pretty easy as well. I was a little curious as to the battery, even though it is listed as the CR2450 on our site I had never seen one being changed here so I wasn't sure. It was more a matter of time and not having to deal with sending it back in the future. Like you said, it's a 5 min job if I do it myself, and a 3 week + job if I send it into Aqualung. My other concern was if it was something that was dificult to get right, there is a big investment riding on me not messing up the battery change. Since it sounds like a fairly simple process I may just give it a go. I'll keep you all posted if I flood it, and If I have time I'll see about making a step by step walk through.

thanks for the info

Brett,

Here is my observation on the battery replacement. Based on the manual and standard, they recommend a pressure test after replacing a battery. However, I haven't seen any flood accident after simple battery and O-ring replacement on D6 and D9 done by even shop monkey (Not U.S.) Suunto D6 and D9 seals pretty well compared to any other low end models.

I don't have a picture of opening tool. If you can post a picture of tool, it will be a good info to the board member.

Just my 2 bar.

I wonder if this goes also for the SUUNTO D4 as it looks like it to me has two little screws on the back plate instead of the cover needing a special key you mention, it also uses a CR-2450 battery I know.
I own a dive resort and cannot imagen that I need to send my dive computer to Aqua Lung which would take at least four weeks, I would rather sell the thing again and buy myself a dive computer of which I can change the battery or not?

I mean to say,200 dives I make in a matter of no time............

Cor

divecor@wanadoo.fr

divecor ,

The D4 looks like it would be a little harder to change just because I can imagine how grimy those little screws will be after a few hundred dives. I would also think the screws are a little easier to strip out then the retainer on the back of the D9, but then again this is something that Suunto will put into the battery kit...if they sell a kit for the D4...

On another note, I have taken all the pictures of me doing a battery change on my D9, so hopefully sometime soon when I get a moment I will put up a "how to" thread on a D9 battery change so everyone can see how basic it really is. I don't think I would have been able to open my D9 up without the info Hoosier gave me.

Yo Brett,
Are you going to get around to posting the pictures of your battery change on the d9? Surely love to see them. Also, do you happen to know the o'ring size for the D4?
Cheers,
Steve

Hi guys,

I finally have the D9 battery change "how to" posted in this thread. Check it out, I hope it helps somebody out of a bind, or at least lets them know what the insides of their computer look like.

Brett,

Just out of curiosity,

I just notice that Suunto battery kit isn't available on your site anymore. What happened?

Brett,

Just out of curiosity,

I just notice that Suunto battery kit isn't available on your site anymore. What happened?

Hoosier,

I don't recall ever having the battery kit, but the battery itself has had it's description changed. Here's the link: 2450 Battery. Now the title doesn't say it's for the D9, but there is a much more detailed list of dive computers that use this battery in the description.

Back
Top Bottom