Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to mention in my OP that if i declined to purchase the upgrade Cobra 3 module they wanted me to pay for their assessment of the one i sent in but wouldnt give me a price. They just wanted me to click the "I agree" box and the price would have been a surprise. If you dont click the "I agree" box then they get to keep your computer. This is what happened so they lost this customer and i tell others not to buy Suunto..

Just in case anyone thinks that the depth sensor issue is a thing of the past, my LDS has had most of their entire Zoop Novo rental fleet go bad.
18 computers in less than year!

whoa! so far I've been lucky. picked up some used cobras (first gen) that were >10y old and no issues over 80 dives in a year and half. Sold the second spare as first has been reliable. Today I picked up a dead one for $10 on CL so I could play with it (depth sensor) and use the quick connect which I don't have.

The only thing freaking me out right now is that sometimes the DM5 download software will show my dives as 180-200ft depth even though the computer logs (and while diving feedback) where in the 40-60ft area. Thought my sensor might be down, but it's only showing inside DM5. ok...

Suunto= junk.....its just simple math.....

whoa! so far I've been lucky. picked up some used cobras (first gen) that were >10y old and no issues over 80 dives in a year and half. Sold the second spare as first has been reliable. Today I picked up a dead one for $10 on CL so I could play with it (depth sensor) and use the quick connect which I don't have.

The only thing freaking me out right now is that sometimes the DM5 download software will show my dives as 180-200ft depth even though the computer logs (and while diving feedback) where in the 40-60ft area. Thought my sensor might be down, but it's only showing inside DM5. ok...

Try to put the non working one in water with a little vineager in for a day or to, it may work again.

I had the same problem with DM5, but i use Subsurface instead, and there is no problem there.

Its not even the algo that i cared about so much, it was the customer service that absolutely sucked that turned me away from suuntos.

Another Suunto Cobra dive depth sensor failure here. Just failed this week. Bought the Cobra new in 2009 & it had about 180-200 dives on it.

My wife's Cobra was purchased used in 2004 and it still works fine.

I thought about getting another Cobra because I already know how to use it & it matches my wife's computer but after reading this looks like I'm moving to a Oceanic Pro Plus. If / when my wife's fails I'm sure she will get the Oceanic also.

Rod

Suunto Settlement in US

Surprisingly, it looks like no one added this to this thread in the last couple of months. So if you are still watching:

Suunto is offering some relief to purchasers of problem items in the US. I have no idea how many hoops you have to jump through, or how difficult it is to prove you qualify if you don't have an original receipt, but no harming in contacting them to find out. The same program describes an extended 10 year warranty on the listed items, so now you know to save your documentation if you have an item from a few years ago that hasn't caused trouble.

Home | Suunto Dive Computer Settlement

I had a Zoop fail back in the summer. Instead of trashing it, I put it in a ziploc for parts (I had JUST had the battery replaced... the sensor was actually dead prior to replacement, I just didn't know it). Then I got the email about the settlement. I sent 3 Zoops and D6i back to Suunto for testing/fixing. I'm still waiting on the 4th through no fault of them (2 different boxes and UPS took longer with one of them). They replaced my busted one with a Zoop Novo and tested my other devices. It was ridiculously fast once I actually took the time to send it in.

I went to the website for the "Dive Computer Settlement" but none of the options really fit so I ended up calling the number listed and they emailed me a form. I completed it and emailed back and they told me I would be contacted within one week. Well no contact came so I emailed asking and they sent an email with postage to send my Cobra to their repair facility in UT, dropped it off at UPS today and it is going via 2-day delivery.

Hopefully know something in the next two weeks.

Rod

Update:

Sent my Cobra in last Thursday so it arrived at the Suunto repair facility on Monday November 5th. Just received an email stating they sent me repaired my old Cobra by putting a Cobra3 module as a replacement. Process took one week and I will say very few hoops to jump through to get my original Cobra computer replace with a Cobra3.

Rod

Back
Top Bottom