Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's right. I dive an original Cobra and I have never had a problem with the conservatism of it. I am not a diver that goes out of my way to push the limits of it. I go deep, stay shallow, repetitive, single.....I knew about the conservative nature of the computer when I purchased it and have had basically no problems with it. It works for me and do not in any way regret getting it. Others may....good for them.

If you are going to dive agressive profiles and if you are a Scuba Fisherman, then don't consider a Suunto. If you dive conservative profiles and are not involved in spearfishing the Cobra may be the one to consider. Just because it does not fit your needs doesn't mean it's junk. The conservative nature of a Suunto computer may be exactly what some people are looking for. The conservative feature of the Cobra influenced my purchase, it is one of the reasons I bought a Cobra 3. Buy what suits your needs and use it, problem solved.

I've dove with a Suunto Solution since the mid-90's. A couple years later I bought a Companion as a back-up computer and dove with both until a couple years ago. They've always been wonderful computers and been within a foot of one another. I've always attributed the depth difference to where I wear them.

Well after the Solution's warranty had expired the depth sensor failed totally. I'd be at 100ft + depth and it would show 12 ft. or so. Suunto replaced it with no questions asked. The 'it' replaced ended up being the actual computer.

A couple years ago I bought a friend's Cobra. Unfortunately I soon wasn't diving as often as I used to. I'm now back in the game but am HATING the Cobra. It's reading 5 to 6 feet deeper than my Solution.

I bitched after my last couple wreck dives and was told most Cobra's had that issue. Reading this thread I'm not hopeful Suunto service will be what it was. Crossing my fingers. & am glad I know my LDS won't be pushing a new computer 'cause they know me and have never done anything but support their customers..

Wish me luck!
Paula

The Suuntos are conservative in their programming (i.e. Algorithms / NDL / tissue loading). Depth differences have nothing to do with it. That is strictly manufacturing differences (tolerances, errors - whatever we may want to call them). Sorry you are not impressed with the Cobra (I'd offer to relieve you of it if I did not already have a redundant wrist mount computer). Good luck though.

Posted via Mobile Device

I've dove with a Suunto Solution since the mid-90's. A couple years later I bought a Companion as a back-up computer and dove with both until a couple years ago. They've always been wonderful computers and been within a foot of one another. I've always attributed the depth difference to where I wear them.

Well after the Solution's warranty had expired the depth sensor failed totally. I'd be at 100ft + depth and it would show 12 ft. or so. Suunto replaced it with no questions asked. The 'it' replaced ended up being the actual computer.

A couple years ago I bought a friend's Cobra. Unfortunately I soon wasn't diving as often as I used to. I'm now back in the game but am HATING the Cobra. It's reading 5 to 6 feet deeper than my Solution.

I bitched after my last couple wreck dives and was told most Cobra's had that issue. Reading this thread I'm not hopeful Suunto service will be what it was. Crossing my fingers. & am glad I know my LDS won't be pushing a new computer 'cause they know me and have never done anything but support their customers..

Wish me luck!
Paula

Good Luck! Which Cobra did you buy? I haven't heard anybody complain about the Cobra 3. If the computer is still under warranty I don't know why there would be any problem. Do you know where your friend bought it? Do you have to send it in to LP or can you just take it back to the LDS? Either way if it is still under warranty I am sure it will be fixed no matter where it was purchased.

Good Luck! Which Cobra did you buy? I haven't heard anybody complain about the Cobra 3. If the computer is still under warranty I don't know why there would be any problem. Do you know where your friend bought it? Do you have to send it in to LP or can you just take it back to the LDS? Either way if it is still under warranty I am sure it will be fixed no matter where it was purchased.

I'm not sure which version of the Cobra it is but doubt it's the 3. My LDS is only 10 minutes from home - a perk of living in a metropolitan area in the Great Lakes. Unfortunately I'm temporarily working in PA 5 hours from home. I'll be able to take it in in late October / early November.

Paula

This type of problem is the second reason I don't like Suunto. They seem to constantly have depth sensing issues and they also tend to go haywire at depth.(i.e. showing a ridiculous amount of deco obligation and the longer the diver does what it asks, the obligation gets longer.) I had a friend who stayed at 20-30 ft for what seemed like forever, but what was, in reality, about 30 minutes. I suited back up to see if he was alright and watched his Cobra changing his ceiling and obligated time for no reason at all. He had dove the same profile as the other three divers and none of them had obligated deco. I have seen a Cobra do this on several occasions. The company does not seem to stand by theit products either. I understand that some divers like a conservative computer and that's a good thing. I just worry about the reliability issue as well. If you get a good Cobra, it lasts and lasts, but for those people who didn't, the repair issues end up being a huge problem. I'm not sure about the 3, but I owned a Cobra and a Cobra 2 and had issues with both. The only Suunto I didn't have problems with was a Stinger, other than it being too conservative.

Mr Trainwreck,

I did not attack you, seriously. There is no need to defend yourself. My statement was simply a statement of fact which was complete as I made it, that being that you can adjust the level of conservative-ness (is that even a real word) on the Suunto Computers and the only skill it requires is a 3rd grade reading level.

Nowhere in your posts did you say "I've already adjusted it to the least conservative and am still unhappy with it" until after my statement.

Yes, it's your opinion and you're happy with that so why does what I think matter to you?

You've obviously have a bad experience with Suunto and my experience is quite the opposite. We've both stated our views and neither of us needs to make personal attacks to support our view of this subject.

I will apologize for the preceived insult, the statement was meant to be very general in nature as it isn't so uncommon for a vast majority of users to never open the cover of their Dive Computer User's Manual, relying on a few minutes of demo from the LDS instead for their complete and in-depth understanding of such a crucial (if you use it) piece of equipment.

I wasn't attacking you Scuba Steve. I agree with you. It was Scubabob and I wouldn't call it an attack, I was defending myself. I believe he was calling me too stupid to read the owners manual. Sorry if anyone else took offense. I was merely stating my opinion, albeit quite loudly. Again, I meant no offense to you. I guess I have a lot of pent up frustration toward the "S" manufacturer. I had to deal with those things and had to also try to sell them with a straight face and it took its toll. Sorry.

That's bussiness they are in it for the profit ONLY, the people working there maybe in it for love of the sport, but not the Bean counters. Bean counters always win in bussiness.

Apology unnecessary but accepted. I'm a big boy, I'll get over it. I still hate Suunto but wish you all the best and here's to hoping I'm either not right about Suunto, or that you got a "Good One.":D

I have never been forced to buy a new car, if my Oil Gauge ,Temp Gauge, or water pump when out!!!!! I would just like to be able to get my Cobra fixed at a reasonable price after my warranty runs out. Im not Interested in buying a new Cobra after every warranty runs out.

Back
Top Bottom