Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I'd update this thread since I had commented before on my Suunto Cobra and my previous issue.

My first cobra had the depth sensor fail just prior to the 2 year warranty expiring. The first unit was replaced. I have been diving the second unit for 2 years and 2 months since, and the same problem happened - crappy depth sensor.

This time Suunto apparently says tough luck. I plan on calling them directly to find out if I have any options.....

I'm disappointed right now, but will update after I speak with them directly.

I just called to find out exactly what happens now.... Suunto referred me to Aqualung. Speaking to Aqualung, I learned that I am basically SOL.

The depth sensor can not be repaired.

Even though I had my first cobra replaced just over 2 years ago, the Suunto 2 year warranty applies to the original purchase date. OK, crap, no warranty...

But, there is a pro-rated 5 year warranty. Unfortunately, this pro-rated warranty only goes towards the purchase of a new (same model) cobra. Since I have already have two cobras fail on me, I don't see the point in paying to get the same type of unit that that has killed 2 dive trips for me because of depth sensor failure.

Anyway, this is just an F.Y.I. for anyone that might find it interesting, find themselves shopping for a computer, or anyone who owns a Suunto. I don't think that I am the first person who has run into a depth sensor that failed on a cobra.

I am not going to rant or whine, as that doesn't accomplish anything. What I am going to do is use my wallet accordingly - and you can probably guess which brand of dive computer will never be on my shopping list again....

.....and you can probably guess which brand of dive computer will never be on my shopping list again....

Mares? :D

What I am going to do is use my wallet accordingly.......

It sucks that you are going through this but this right here is the absolute best thing you can do. I hope your next computer is trouble free for you.

Galileo Luna. Does everything and more than a Cobra. It has a compass that works with dive data still on the screen, It does multi gas, multi transmitors. Connects UNDER WATER if required. Calculates and re-calculates your dive plan to include heavy work loads during the dive.(and no, Suunto do not do that)
I had Suunto's but would never go back to them after my Luna.

I have a Suunto Eon I bought new in 1996 , brilliant computer . Recently bought a D4 as I needed a new watch and like redundancy .
The D4 went crazy after a 24 foot beach dive , said I violated the limits and no diving for 48 hours . Has not done that again but I am not impressed to say the least .
I guess it is just a matter of time before I see how Suunto customer service is ...

I hope your experience with your D4 is better than what I ran into. After having one since 1996 I can't blame you for going back to the same company - I think that is what anybody would do.

What I expected in spending almost $700 bucks on a computer was that it was basically top quality equipment and that it would last............ Live and learn.

Good luck w/ your D4, and post up what ultimately happens.

Galileo Luna. Does everything and more than a Cobra. It has a compass that works with dive data still on the screen, It does multi gas, multi transmitors. Connects UNDER WATER if required. Calculates and re-calculates your dive plan to include heavy work loads during the dive.(and no, Suunto do not do that)
I had Suunto's but would never go back to them after my Luna.

Does the Luna have a dive simulator like the Suuntos?

Never needed one old chap. Only takes one little difference, like the tide hights, or a strong current and the planning can go straight of the window. The dive planner can not tell how much air you are going to use in a dive due to stress, or fatigue or just because of a busy day at work before the dive.
If I want to I can set time limits or depth limits or even air limits. I can change my reserve levels, when I want my warnings to go off, how I want those warnings to warn me....in fact, almost everything can be adjusted to just the way I want it.
So no, for me it has never been of intrest.
But then it would be a funny old world if we all thought the same.

Never needed one old chap. Only takes one little difference, like the tide hights, or a strong current and the planning can go straight of the window. The dive planner can not tell how much air you are going to use in a dive due to stress, or fatigue or just because of a busy day at work before the dive.
If I want to I can set time limits or depth limits or even air limits. I can change my reserve levels, when I want my warnings to go off, how I want those warnings to warn me....in fact, almost everything can be adjusted to just the way I want it.
So no, for me it has never been of intrest.
But then it would be a funny old world if we all thought the same.

What I was referring to is a simulator function, not a dive planner. The reason I like to have the simulator is to learn what the display looks like under different conditions. For example, I don't do deco diving but I can simulate a deco dive to see what the display will look like if I enter deco by accident. It's easier than remembering the manual.

Adam

My wife and I both have Cobras. Mine failed after about a year or so and my wifes depth failed this last week. Our computers are about 6 years old or so. Mine was replaced under warranty, not sure whats going to happen with my wifes yet, but I am sure they wont fix it. I dont think I will buy another Suunto after this experience though and finding out about all the other problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom