Suunto DM4 manual and help with "Tissue Saturation"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scratch_Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I have a Suunto Zoop and have downloaded my dives into their DM4 software, so far so good. I can see a chart of my dive (depth over time) and details of the dive which is pretty cool. However, I not sure what a couple of the graphs mean and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some sort of FAQ or manual for this software.

I'm specifically looking for an explanation of the Tissue Saturation graph and the the "bubbles ppO2". How am I supposed to read them (i.e. what is considered "good" or "bad" or is that even how you are supposed to look at it)?

I've tried the built in "Help", looked at the FAQ and done Google searches and searches on this board for "Suunto DM4 Tissue Saturation" but nothing seems to come up that just explains it to a newbie.

I get that tissue saturation is how much nitrogen is in your tissue over the course of the dive. What I don't understand is how to interpret it. For example, is it "bad" to get close to that red line at 100% in the middle of your dive or is that normal? Why does the graph extend to 200%?

Same as the bubble per O2... that line just seems to follow my dive line in the chart.

Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie,

The Suunto computers use the RGBM algorithm, in calculating the N2 compartment saturation. This algorithm takes into account repetitive dives, accent rate, and time at depth. In general, recreational divers should stay as far away from 100% predicted saturation as possible. Once you exceed 100% saturation the computer will enter decompression. The computer will prescribe a minimum time required to ascend, and a ceiling that you should not ascend above to minimize your potential for D.C.S. For both N2 & O2 recreational divers should stay below 100% saturation.

Thanks,
Chris from Suunto

---------- Post Merged on September 7th, 2012 at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 6th, 2012 at 10:26 PM ----------

Charlie,
I noticed that I misworded part of my answer to you. The correction is that once you exceed 100% tissue saturation, you then exceed the no decompression limit.

Back
Top Bottom