Suunto Eon Core vs D6i Novo vs D4i Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fires

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

So I lost my 7 month new D4i Novo to Neptune this weekend. Needless to say I am on the hunt for a new computer.

My first computer was a D4, when it flooded after a battery change at the dealer I got a spanking new D4i Novo and have been loving it.

Now having lost that one, I am considering either replacing with the same, or going one up to the D6i Novo, or even the Eon Core.

Currently I teach padi courses and do recreational diving, so the D4i has been perfect to wear all day (I honestly never ever take the thing off) and to use for timing in the pool as well as all the usual dives.

Currently also have no plans on going into tec-rec, but I have been dabling with the idea of doing a course. I really feel like the Eon Core trumps the D6i in terms of features and expandability, but then I have never worn such a big dive computer and wonder if I will like it. The only other thing playing on my mind is that I love wearing my watch all the time. But it feels like this is the next 5 year investment, and I am wondering if it is worthwhile planning ahead.

The D4i is R9000 in my currency and both the D6i and the Eon Core are R10 000. Hence my thoughts on chipping in the tiny bit extra AND the reasoning for taking the Eon Core over the D6i as the features are plentiful in comparison.

Just stuck in old ways and if I will like such a big dive computer or not.

Any thoughts and reviews on the core? I know most here don't like Suunto (I think?) But it has always been my preference.

THANKS!

If you are stuck on Suunto, I am sorry I can't give opinion there but if you would/can entertain other options, I'd recommend the following:

1. Ratio Computers

2. Scubapro G2

3. Shearwater Perdix AI

Any one of the three above is a far better computer and value than ANY of the overpriced Suunto AI computers. If you want a "watch style" computer, then Ratio Computers has really nice ones too with big numbers.

I like my Eon core, only issue is with the iPhone app. The instant bluetooth download of the dives to the phone is nice but the app does not show average depth which I would like and for some reason for my dives today only the first minute of the dive is on the depth graph.

I have several buddies with the similar Steel. They all like it a lot. I am not a fan of watch sized computers, they seem like a lot of compromise for not much gain.

You might want to have a think about the charging regime. If you are diving away a lot the mono LCD will need less attention wrt batteries vs taking a charger.

The steel/core screen is very nice, it make thes the Perdix one look quite poor.

The Steel/and Core are one and the same - just different cases

I've have my steel for 3 years and put 400 dives on it, so I like to think I know it well

As an all round computer it's pretty good. As Ken says the Screen is second to none. I prefer mine to be in the graphical layout, but you get the choice to set it up as you wish

One downside is the water sensor which is unnecessary IMHO - you need to keep it clean and dry it post dive. Maybe because we dive in a hot climate with very saline water, but if we don't dry it well post dive, the computer will stay on.

The battery life is good, about 30 hrs depending on your settings.

Regarding conservatism the D4 & D6 have a default (0) and then two levels more of conservatism (+1 &+2)

The Eon use -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, So you have two settings of less conservatism. When teaching or guiding I use +1 to keep my computer around the same level and other rec computers

Apart from that it's a cost thing for choices.

ANY of the overpriced Suunto AI computers

You're of course entitled to your opinion. People here forget or have blinkers to the fact price differences aren't the same world wide.

For instance I can buy an Eon Steel with TX for slightly less than a Perdix with the same in my market.

The OP is in SA - they might have again different price points or either no or limited availability because of dealer/distributor locations or arrangements

Any btw unless OP was (which they've stated they're not) tec diving where it's easier to plan on like for like algorithms - but possible for those that differ, then from my limited experience with the perdix, the Eon is as good or slightly better than the Perdix - depending on your personal preferences. But that's only my opinion.

You're of course entitled to your opinion. People here forget or have blinkers to the fact price differences aren't the same world wide.

For instance I can buy an Eon Steel with TX for slightly less than a Perdix with the same in my market.

The OP is in SA - they might have again different price points or either no or limited availability because of dealer/distributor locations or arrangements

Any btw unless OP was (which they've stated they're not) tec diving where it's easier to plan on like for like algorithms - but possible for those that differ, then from my limited experience with the perdix, the Eon is as good or slightly better than the Perdix - depending on your personal preferences. But that's only my opinion.

Different opinions is what makes SB interesting in the most part. I have been using Suunto's since mid-90's and I am changing preference based on what is available in the international market today. I am moving away from Suunto since their prices appear to be going up compared with what they offer and with the competition. The OP has to study all options and see what is better for him.

If you are stuck on Suunto, I am sorry I can't give opinion there but if you would/can entertain other options, I'd recommend the following:

1. Ratio Computers

2. Scubapro G2

3. Shearwater Perdix AI

Any one of the three above is a far better computer and value than ANY of the overpriced Suunto AI computers. If you want a "watch style" computer, then Ratio Computers has really nice ones too with big numbers.

Thanks for the input! I have read a bit about the perdix here.

I like my Eon core, only issue is with the iPhone app. The instant bluetooth download of the dives to the phone is nice but the app does not show average depth which I would like and for some reason for my dives today only the first minute of the dive is on the depth graph.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I like average depth, but honestly only look at it after on subsurface to see SAC rate too.

I have several buddies with the similar Steel. They all like it a lot. I am not a fan of watch sized computers, they seem like a lot of compromise for not much gain.

You might want to have a think about the charging regime. If you are diving away a lot the mono LCD will need less attention wrt batteries vs taking a charger.

The steel/core screen is very nice, it make thes the Perdix one look quite poor.

Thanks for the input. Definitely the screen seems to be a major winner so far and is what is drawing it to me in addition to the functions. In terms of charging I always have all my electronic gadgets with me, so even if I do a remote trip I don't think this will be an issue.

I take it one could charge it from a power bank too? They do say plug the USB into a cell charger, so power bank would be the same IMO. I would need to check input/output amps + voltage.

The Steel/and Core are one and the same - just different cases

I've have my steel for 3 years and put 400 dives on it, so I like to think I know it well

As an all round computer it's pretty good. As Ken says the Screen is second to none. I prefer mine to be in the graphical layout, but you get the choice to set it up as you wish

One downside is the water sensor which is unnecessary IMHO - you need to keep it clean and dry it post dive. Maybe because we dive in a hot climate with very saline water, but if we don't dry it well post dive, the computer will stay on.

The battery life is good, about 30 hrs depending on your settings.

Regarding conservatism the D4 & D6 have a default (0) and then two levels more of conservatism (+1 &+2)

The Eon use -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, So you have two settings of less conservatism. When teaching or guiding I use +1 to keep my computer around the same level and other rec computers

Apart from that it's a cost thing for choices.

Thanks for the input! Yeah I like the fact of customising the display, I think that is an awesome feature! Thanks for the headsup re the water sensor, i'll be sure to keep it clean.

So when you say 2 levels more, do you mean that 0 on the D4&6 is equal to 0 on the Eon Core? i.e. level -1 and -2 are making it less conservative than standard? This would be a nice benefit as most people complain about the conservatism...me it doesn't bother. Especially when doing a lot of dives, I rather be cautious. On my D4 I always used to dive 0, unless it is a super cold dive and I am tired or something where I have 2 factors.

I really think like this might be the computer for me then. Although I will miss the watch/wearing it all the time side of things, I think this is a good "forward thinking" move.

Thanks for the input! I have read a bit about the perdix here.
So when you say 2 levels more, do you mean that 0 on the D4&6 is equal to 0 on the Eon Core? i.e. level -1 and -2 are making it less conservative than standard?

Yes is the simple answer.

The not so simple answer is that the Eon and DX run the Fused RGBM, where as the rest to the range run standard RGBM. Fused is a mid point between Standard RGBM and the full Tec RGBM. On shallow dives the Eon will behave like a D4 or D6 - albeit having less conservatism. When you go deeper then Fused kicks in moving it to more of a tec algorithm.

Like you, I run mine on 0 generally. if you go to -2 it will allow more NDL but you'll get less tolerance of naughty behaviour like fast ascents, and thus get additional time at the SS. If I'm diving deeper (40m+ )I may move to -2 in the full knowledge of the penalties I might get. For the record, The most additional peanilities I've had on a SS is 2 mins extra - having had a saw tooth profile on a scooter in current

Yes is the simple answer.

The not so simple answer is that the Eon and DX run the Fused RGBM, where as the rest to the range run standard RGBM. Fused is a mid point between Standard RGBM and the full Tec RGBM. On shallow dives the Eon will behave like a D4 or D6 - albeit having less conservatism. When you go deeper then Fused kicks in moving it to more of a tec algorithm.

Like you, I run mine on 0 generally. if you go to -2 it will allow more NDL but you'll get less tolerance of naughty behaviour like fast ascents, and thus get additional time at the SS. If I'm diving deeper (40m+ )I may move to -2 in the full knowledge of the penalties I might get. For the record, The most additional peanilities I've had on a SS is 2 mins extra - having had a saw tooth profile on a scooter in current
Awesome thanks, that gives me a solid idea of what to expect. And in general I have no issues with that, it sounds good.

I never even realised that the Fused RGBM model was different. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom