Suunto Eon Core vs D6i Novo vs D4i Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F
What isn't clear (to me, after reading papers and code and SB posts for some time) is what the percentages are. I.e. a given computer is programmed to keep the chances of clinical DCS for a well-calibrated perfectly spherical reference diver of uniform density, at or below X. Setting conservatism factor to +2 changes that to Y. To my knowledge nobody ever tells you what X or Y are, for any computer out there: 2 in 10,000 and 1 in 10,001 resp.?

Eon's "fused" RGBM sounds "smarter" and more "adaptive", probably because Eons have a bigger CPU capable of running smarter code in the first place, but even that is only smarter for that reference diver; it's unclear how that relates to you personally on any given day.

So I tend to leave mine (Cressi) on SF0 and not worry too much about it. But I'm a vacation diver, I practically always dive Al80s in warm water, and mostly: only to 20-ish metres. YMMV and all that.

From the link posted above by Diving Dubai, you can see this: (Attached)

Quite interesting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 13.51.34.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 13.51.34.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 13.51.34.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 13.51.34.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 96
The plot on p. 12 where it generates ascent shorter than Buhlmann on 10/100, with the "slowdown" starting at 50 m vs. the Buhlmanns 40-ish is what's considered suboptimal these days. All they have about conservatism on technical dives is "longer decompression time". Presumably pulling the right tail of the curve further to the right, which is what you'd want.

But at least they have the brochure. For the "recreational" computers, including Suuntos, there is no brochure. My Cressi only says "developed for the needs of recreational divers".

@Diving Dubai - I just wanted to check something if you might know. A mate of mine was saying that when you pair an eon core with a tank pod, and you are doing shutdown drills (tec), that it looses its pairing. Is this the case? Or does it re-pair when the pressure comes back?

I have gotten a Eon Core demo to try out this weekend. So I am looking forward to diving it and seeing what it is like, but I am already 95% sold on it. Being playing around with it, and it has been great!

Just to start this thread up again. I have a Core and I really like it, however there are 2 issues. firstly, the display is hard to read in bright sunlight. Secondly the customisation software is disfuctional and doesn't always set the computer the way you planned. For example, I used the software to show air time left then consumption rate then max depth with sucessive button presses. For some reason the computer doesnt show that it shows airtime, CNS, consumption rate, max depth. Just bugs, but annoying.

I sympathise. I've not had those issues with the software, however it is easy not to configure the menus as you thought you had.

For example: What seems logical on the computer may not be so underwater.

For me, I use 4 screens. On all (except gas) my gas pressure always shows on the middle display And I will always have the gas mix somewhere on each screen

My dive time and max depth always appear on teh NDL screen because that's the screen I'll end up on, so when I get on the boat and get asked for those stats they're readily available without searching and many button presses.

While I'm pretty good at knowing what data I want on which screen, often after the first trip when I've configured the menus i may need to make some adjustments.

As for the display. If I'm wearing sunglasses on teh deck, yes I agree it can be difficult in bright sunlight. I will say it's better that the Shearwater in this respect and you can read it at more acute angles (I run an Eon Steel and Perdix AI) Indeed I've also put it up against the Teric on land and found the Eon screen to be the best for brightness and readability in the bright sunshine of Dubai summers

I am a SA diver and would rather recommend buying a Shearwater, either new or secondhand.

Back
Top Bottom