Suunto EON Core? Where did this come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hadn't seen any ads about Suunto EON Core until a few minutes ago.

Interesting looking. I like this a lot better than then Steel in that they made it all screen and put the buttons on the side.

I dive a Perdix and love it, but I can't help but like the display on the Suunto. The picture looks like a rendering, not a real product.

The price is always a deal breaker though. $1,440 is a heck of a lot more than the Perdix AI with the AI pod.

Suunto-EON-Core-Black.jpg

And once again Suunto is out of touch with the market they're trying to break into......

In what way?

they want into the technical market. The Core is basically the Eon Steel in a smaller form factor, similar comparison of say a Shearwater Predator and the Shearwater Perdix. Basically identical computers functionally, even aesthetically, one is just much smaller than the other.
The Steel is not a computer you ever really see in serious technical divers because it just doesn't work, and the Core is going to be no different.

Very sad, because I think Shearwater needs a serious competitor, but this just isn't it

Very sad, because I think Shearwater needs a serious competitor, but this just isn't it

How about Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC computers?

price aside, the algorithm is a deal breaker...

Or lack of algorithm choices? For 1 and 2 tank recreational dives, how bad could it be? But, again, why pay almost $1,500 for a computer that isn't as good as a Perdix?
If this thing was more like $900 with the pod it would at least be my backup computer.

Why does the Shearwater need a competitor? Great computer. Good price. Looks cool. Everything else will be a knockoff. :)
Shearwater is creating its own competition by working into the recreational (or the get the computer that does "both" so you don't have to buy another one later") market.

That being said... what about the Ratio? Makes a lot of claims.

Back
Top Bottom