What computer do you preffer for sidemount diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan De Lucio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used the Suunto Eon Steel with 2 transmitters for sidemount? I know the new Perdix AI can do it and the Eon can have up to I think 5 or 6 transmitters paired with the computer. But, not sure how the Eon would work if I bought another Tank POD and tried to use it for sidemount and my Deco bottles. Anyone have any experience with this?

You couldn't pay me to dive the Eon in a technical setting, no way in hell. If you want any control over your decompression, you'll look elsewhere. No reason to use it on the deco bottles in my opinion. Once you get to the deco bottles, you either have enough gas, or you don't. No need to check the SPG's on those other than "are they full", "are they half full", or "oh sh!t, they're empty!"

I have a Petrel 1 right now. If I were buying new, I would buy a Perdix AI. Probably without transmitters due to cost, but would at least buy the computer that is capable of using them

You couldn't pay me to dive the Eon in a technical setting, no way in hell. If you want any control over your decompression, you'll look elsewhere. No reason to use it on the deco bottles in my opinion. Once you get to the deco bottles, you either have enough gas, or you don't. No need to check the SPG's on those other than "are they full", "are they half full", or "oh sh!t, they're empty!"

I have a Petrel 1 right now. If I were buying new, I would buy a Perdix AI. Probably without transmitters due to cost, but would at least buy the computer that is capable of using them

Ok besides knowing the Eon will lock you out if you blow past a safety stop or differ from its deco stop. I'm just looking to see if anyone has used it before with multiple transmitters. I would like to record my SAC rates for each bottle I go through. I know I can calculate them out. Just easier on a computer. Plus trying to see if there is a one computer option. FYI I plan to have an analog gauge on all my tanks too.

The perdix AI is only limited to 2 tanks so I was just curious if anyone has any other experience with the Eon.

I use the Hollis TX-1 with dual transmitters (will support up to 6 with different mixes), And redundant spgs. No experience with the afforementioned, but the Perdix AI looks pretty cool.

I use the Eon with multiple transmitters on my back gas and additional slung tanks. It works very well

Unlike the Perdix AI the Eon currently doesn't have the facility of displaying multiple gasses at the same time.

With Firmware 1.4, you can now edit the gasses while in dive mode, thus if you where handed a different gas mix by a team member you can reconfigure on the fly.

Ok besides knowing the Eon will lock you out if you blow past a safety stop or differ from its deco stop. I'm just looking to see if anyone has used it before with multiple transmitters.

The Eon will only lock you out if you bust through the ceiling of a mandatory stop for more than 3 minutes.

It will not lock you out if you ignore an advised stop such as a safety stop or deep-stop (should you have deep-stops enabled)

Ok besides knowing the Eon will lock you out if you blow past a safety stop or differ from its deco stop. I'm just looking to see if anyone has used it before with multiple transmitters. I would like to record my SAC rates for each bottle I go through. I know I can calculate them out. Just easier on a computer. Plus trying to see if there is a one computer option. FYI I plan to have an analog gauge on all my tanks too.

The perdix AI is only limited to 2 tanks so I was just curious if anyone has any other experience with the Eon.

i don't see the need for analog gauges on tanks with transmitters, but that's just me. The downfalls of the Suunto algorithm are enough for me not to consider the Eon, add in the idiotic price point and it's just not worth it. A Perdix AI with 2x transmitters is cheaper than just the computer from Suunto

i don't see the need for analog gauges on tanks with transmitters, but that's just me. The downfalls of the Suunto algorithm are enough for me not to consider the Eon, add in the idiotic price point and it's just not worth it. A Perdix AI with 2x transmitters is cheaper than just the computer from Suunto
All true, with some qualifications:
- The price point varies greatly, pending where bought. In the US it is idiotic. I bought mine in Germany (before I knew anything) with transmitter for what a Galileo then cost in the US on a sale. (Exchange rate and if you do not reside in the EU and do it right, you get the 20% sales tax back)
- The OP may be asking not because he plans on buying an EON, but because he has one and prefers expanding his use of it rather than ditching it and starting with another computer. If the former is giving reasonable results, then the latter seems like another way of spending stupid money. That said, the Perdix AI seems to make sense. If I bought today, that's where I might go...
- Even if that is not the OP's situation, others reading this may happen to have an EON and might like to learn in how far it might make sense to use it with e.g. 2 transmitters, even so (dumb move by Suunto) they cannot be displayed simultaneously. In my case learning how such usage might look like will help more than learning yet again and again that likely I might have made a smarter choice.
When my diving suggests I need another computer, I get one. Until then I use what I have.

But should I throw more money at what I have, e.g.. for another transmitter (stupid cost in itself, but again, pending where...)?
After all, 2nd transmitter is more about convenience than need.

So, I for one encourage more replies on the topic of how does it look like then when used with dual tanks (SM or independent other)? How do you set it up?
How inconvenient is it not to see both tanks data displayed at the same time?
How do you make sure you don't accidentally and stupidly (it happens, I try to guard against it...) end up watching the one you are not breathing from, because you quickly checked to see what pressure it was at, because you did not trust you remembered right..., and forgot to switch back?
OK, I am just asking to understand. I promise it is not that bad that I do a safety stop everytime my DC's time is at 15:00.

I use the Eon with multiple transmitters on my back gas and additional slung tanks. It works very well

Unlike the Perdix AI the Eon currently doesn't have the facility of displaying multiple gasses at the same time.

With Firmware 1.4, you can now edit the gasses while in dive mode, thus if you where handed a different gas mix by a team member you can reconfigure on the fly.

The Eon will only lock you out if you bust through the ceiling of a mandatory stop for more than 3 minutes.

It will not lock you out if you ignore an advised stop such as a safety stop or deep-stop (should you have deep-stops enabled)

So, how do you set it up and use it then (- switch screens...- see my post just prior on my "wonderings")?

Redundancy is for me personally a requirement. Computers fail, tank pods fail, these are all electronics taken into water. Doesn't matter if it's designed for diving or not, analog redundancy should be a requirement for safety.

Again though I'm not trying to argue my setup vs yours or others. I am simply asking I feel others use the Eon for the purpose of sidemount or for deco bottles. Since I already have one, I want to know how they set it up, switch gasses and if it's more confusing than it's worth. If so I may purchase the perdix AI for sidemount since you can monitor both tanks.

All true, with some qualifications:
- The price point varies greatly, pending where bought. In the US it is idiotic. I bought mine in Germany (before I knew anything) with transmitter for what a Galileo then cost in the US on a sale. (Exchange rate and if you do not reside in the EU and do it right, you get the 20% sales tax back)
- The OP may be asking not because he plans on buying an EON, but because he has one and prefers expanding his use of it rather than ditching it and starting with another computer. If the former is giving reasonable results, then the latter seems like another way of spending stupid money. That said, the Perdix AI seems to make sense. If I bought today, that's where I might go...
- Even if that is not the OP's situation, others reading this may happen to have an EON and might like to learn in how far it might make sense to use it with e.g. 2 transmitters, even so (dumb move by Suunto) they cannot be displayed simultaneously. In my case learning how such usage might look like will help more than learning yet again and again that likely I might have made a smarter choice.
When my diving suggests I need another computer, I get one. Until then I use what I have.

But should I throw more money at what I have, e.g.. for another transmitter (stupid cost in itself, but again, pending where...)?
After all, 2nd transmitter is more about convenience than need.

So, I for one encourage more replies on the topic of how does it look like then when used with dual tanks (SM or independent other)? How do you set it up?
How inconvenient is it not to see both tanks data displayed at the same time?
How do you make sure you don't accidentally and stupidly (it happens, I try to guard against it...) end up watching the one you are not breathing from, because you quickly checked to see what pressure it was at, because you did not trust you remembered right..., and forgot to switch back?
OK, I am just asking to understand. I promise it is not that bad that I do a safety stop everytime my DC's time is at 15:00.

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I am trying to convey in a response. Not criticism of the Eon I already own or how I have my setup. Just want to know if anyone else uses for the same purpose I am asking. Thanks for the clarification of my post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom