Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad about no gauge mode - for use as a bottom timer that's pretty essential if you want to do multiple dives. Other than that what a rocking little computer! :)

If anyone is able to go a little further and get gauge mode working I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Well, I haven't given up - YET! But the owner of the LDS is getting a little miffed at me for turning all his gekkos into vipers :) Recently, I've been putting his company name into them for the 'personal data', so he's a little more understanding. He still wants me to 'rent' them if I dive them though.

I have a Geko and would like to be able to download it to my computer but I am pretty new at this computer stuff. I have no idea what a "SDM" is ? or what you mean by having a ac/dc computer ?

CMAN:
I have a Geko and would like to be able to download it to my computer but I am pretty new at this computer stuff. I have no idea what a "SDM" is ? or what you mean by having a ac/dc computer ?

The Ac/dc computer is a joke.

"SDM" stands for 'Suunto Dive Manager' - it's suunto's dive log software. Suunto has left the download capability out of the Geeko but only in the SDM. The computer itself has an interface port and stores the profile data, just like all the other models do. You just can't read it out with the SDM is all. That's about to change, A couple of third party divelogs are going to support direct suunto downloads ( currently most just 'import' of the data after it's been downloaded with suunto's software ). Because they don't use suunto's software they WILL download from gekkos. If you wish to use suunto's software AND download a Gekko, you must fool the software into thinking it's talking to something other than a gekko.

I have a small program that does just that. It makes the gekko report to the SDM that it's a vyper. It 'Fools' the SDM into downloading it's data. It's also a completely safe thing and it's reversable.

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other Free Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

Black Dog:
Where can you get a connection cable.
What is it, a usb port connection?
Thanks

The Gekko uses the same interface cable as the Cobra/Viper/Vytec. It's available in RS232 or USB, either from suunto or third party or DIY.

CIB,

I'm happy to dive my Gekko to test out code you've got. And, I might be volunteering my Gekko for a little bit of risk here, but you could probably convince me to lend you my Gekko for extended testing up there in AK.

Hello!
I'm new around here and my english is probably not the best, but I'll try:

The gekko2vyper tool didn't work with my USB/Serial Adapter. After using a "normal" COM-Port it worked.
After this I transfered the dives to my PC using SDM 2.3.

GREAT! :D

once you download the data, the dive computer clears all profiles!!!

Well, I don't think so! The transfer was complete, but I can still see all the data on the Gekko itself.

addendum:

I just used another PC and was able to transfer all the dives again.

The problem with clearing the memory was solved in a later version of the API.
I had a buffer overrun error that 'lost' a byte of information causeing the DC to loose the stored data. The buggy program was, I'm Glad to say, never released, I found the error on the build before I posted it.

I would like to know more about the problem with useing a USB to rs232 adapter. What (if any) errors were reported? Exactly when did it fail? ect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom