Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving - If I can be of assistance please let me know. I am a software engineer by day and a dive instructor by night. I ordered a Gekko to play with this.

CIBDiving:
I would like to know more about the problem with useing a USB to rs232 adapter. What (if any) errors were reported? Exactly when did it fail? ect.

I have the RS232 official Suunto cable and some cheap generic RS232 to USB adaptor since my laptop doesn't have an RS232 port. The only problems I had were the positioning of the Suunto contacts so that they actually touched the Gekko contacts without losing connection.

I am (hopefully) going diving this weekend and I can try out the possible Gauge mode.

rainman_02:
I have the RS232 official Suunto cable and some cheap generic RS232 to USB adaptor since my laptop doesn't have an RS232 port. The only problems I had were the positioning of the Suunto contacts so that they actually touched the Gekko contacts without losing connection.

That is a problem no matter what program you use.

The Gekko2vyper program just changes the dive computer's ID tag from a 'gekko' ( 13 ) to a 'vyper' (10 ). Any valid ID would work, stinger = 3, mosquito =4, cobra =11, vytec=12. I don't know what a D3,D6 and D9 are but if someone wants to check and let me know that would be great!

You need to use the program 'Project1' on the same site as the gekko2vyper program to change the Mode of the DC, You can set the sample rate and a few other things too. Problem with gauge mode on the gekko is you can't set it to any other mode and get back to gauge - you must set it from a PC. Didn't you try it once and we had a failure? It went into the water in guage but it acted like it was in air mode once it started the dive.

The D6 and D9 use a completely different protocol. The D3's ID code is 5. The D3 does encode a few things differently, but largely works like the older Suuntos.

-Mark

You wouldn't be inclined to share a little more info would you??

CIBDiving:
Didn't you try it once and we had a failure? It went into the water in guage but it acted like it was in air mode once it started the dive.

It sets into Gauge mode, but I could only get it into 7 feet of water that weekend, so I couldn't fully test it.

From comparing the Vyper to Vytec documentation though, the Vytec has minutes : seconds on the gauge display where it appears the Vyper has only minutes for the gauge display.

As soon as I can dive deeper with the Gekko in Gauge mode, I will. And if it will help the development, like I said earlier, I would be willing to part with my Gekko for a while for you to test/debug/experiment.

I'm using an USB/Serial adapter with the Prolific PL-2303 Chipset and the latest drivers by Prolific:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=59

The Interface is an original Suunto-Serial-Interface.

This combination always worked fine - with every version von SDM including the newest (2.3).

However... your tool simply sais, that it can't find the interface. So I went to a friend whose computer has a RS232 build in. Everything worked fine.

Now I can connect my Gekko the same way as my Vyper.

To me the real test of gauge mode would be to take the computer into deco, make sure the bottom time and depth continue to be shown, attempt to violate the computer, then take the computer on a second dive with 24 hours to make sure depth and time are still shown.

If you're not up for a multi-gas deco dive just to test your computer maybe a goody bag and long piece of string would do the trick. Dangle the computer at 100' during lunch (200' if you're a fast eater) and then pull it up directly to the surface.

CIBDiving:
You wouldn't be inclined to share a little more info would you??

I do plan to publish the D9/D6 protocol once I've got it fully working with my software. I'm 90% of the way there now, but am still having problems with some of the alarms and a few odds and ends.

-Mark

Hi, I am new to this site. I am interested in buying a GEKKO computer and looking forward to try and 'fix' the problem with PC Interfacing. However, one of my friends told me that once he was about to buy a GEKKO, but didn't since it has no PC interfacing (according to Suunto). As I viewed this site, I told him about the Interfacing 'fix' and he told me that there isn't any interfacing port on the GEKKO. This greatly contrasts with what is being said here! Is there an interfacing port on the GEKKO or not? If yes, could you please tell me where is it located?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom