Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awtopsja:
Is there an interfacing port on the GEKKO or not? If yes, could you please tell me where is it located?
=================================
Yeah ...there's a port. It's on the outside bottom of the case. Have never used it and don't have the cable ...but it's there.

Been reading this thread with interest but don't think I'm ever gonna do the download thing.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
=================================
Yeah ...there's a port. It's on the outside bottom of the case. Have never used it and don't have the cable ...but it's there.

Been reading this thread with interest but don't think I'm ever gonna do the download thing.

'Slogger
Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port. Because, i am finding it a bit strange. What's the use for Suunto to say that it has no PC interfacing, and then they manufacture it with a port?

So if I understood you well, the port should be on the underside of the computer i.e. the side that comes into contact with your wrist. Is it?

Thanks again.

awtopsja:
Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port.
=====================================
I'll look tonight and let you know. I know the manual references the port and how it can be used but off the top of my head I forget the details, since I never intended to use it.

'Slogger

awtopsja:
Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port. Because, i am finding it a bit strange. What's the use for Suunto to say that it has no PC interfacing, and then they manufacture it with a port?

So if I understood you well, the port should be on the underside of the computer i.e. the side that comes into contact with your wrist. Is it?

Thanks again.

I think the consensus is that the Vyper and Gekko are really the same computer with a different device ID and/or different firmware. They save on manufacturing cost by making one unit instead of two, and they can still sell a low end unit and a higher end unit.

awtopsja:

Thanks again.

The Gekko is identical to the vyper/vytec computers, outwardly. If you were to remove the 'Gekko' label from the case you couldn't tell the difference.
It uses to exact same interface the vyper/vytec computers use. The difference is, instead of the display reading "TR-PC" when it's in transfer mode, the Gekko reads " PC SET".

There is a thing called 'Marketing", those involed in this have many strange ideas. Fortunatly there are also lawyers,they are perhaps stranger. And finaly the are software engineers, possibly the strangest of all. the Last group makes their product in 'moduals', they test these moduals (mostly to please the lawyers ). now the first group says " we don't want this to have a PC connection. The Lawyers say "We don't want changes that effect tested critical moduals". the Engeeniers only change the display and button moduals, Not the critical NDL moduals that track nitrogen writes profile ect. and finaly there is management that makes the desision to reuse as many parts already outsourced as possible. so Instead of a new computer you get a stipped down vyper that has been hobbled by I/O. since suunto has a (almost) monopoly on dowloadingf their computers they just refuse to dowm load a Gekko and tell you you can't - you believe them.

CIB, the new version of the Project1 software is slow compared to the version I downloaded a while ago, I originally thought it wasn't working.

However, this is with my Gekko hooked up:

gekko.jpg

You rock, dude. I'm going to get this into the water this weekend. Hopefully. My last two weekends of diving cancelled because the boat isn't ready. However, this weekend is beach diving, so I should get in the water fine.

The early version used default values at startup - NOT what was set in your computer You had to explicitly "get" the info if you wanted to see what the settings were. The new version opens the port and then reads each value into it's place, so that you see 'your' computer setup when it's done. This takes a considerable amount of time, ~ 2 sec for each. The API has a routine that reads all the data out of the computer in one read ( well 3 really) and then you can work on it externaly and rewrite it when your done, that will allow an 'undo' of any changes you make.

Look for a few dive log programs to be released soon with this API included.

CIBDiving:
How many have the Suunto Gekko? How many are tired of Suunto telling you you can't download profiles from a Gekko? Well You can! The data is in there the SDM just won't get it out.

Here's a program that enables the Gekko for downloading! The only change it makes is to fool the SDM into thinking it's talking to a Vyper. You can switch back and forth if it bothers you to have a AC/DC computer on you :wink:

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other Free Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

I bought a new Gekko for my lady recently. Used your utility to connect to the laptop via a USB<>Serial adapter that I got from Maplins. Works fine.

Thanks

Tony

regards

This is awesome. Anyone knows if it works on a Mac? If it doesn't then I may try on my work computer.

well, the converter program is a windows program, so that needs a PC. But once the change is made Any opsystem that has a suunto download program for it Should work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom