Suunto on Android?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone out there use a Suunto D series on the Android mobile platform? Does it work? Can you plug in the cable to a tablet's micro usb with a USB to MicroUSB plug?

I've rather had it waiting for Mac to put out a unit similar to the 'Surface' and I can't find a way to get my dives directly into an iOS without buying yet more dongle-boxes with yet more specialty cables, so I am thinking of transferring to an Android tablet for travel - if it can work.

I wish I could hackintosh a 'Surface' but I don't think it works.

I have a Viper Novo and a Zoop Novo that I use on multiple Samsung Android devices with a USB-On-The-Go adapter to the Suunto cable. I use DiveMate Andriod for software.

Thanks for the note JD.

I pulled an old LGpad out of storage (supposedly OTG ready) and plugged in an OTG cable to my Suunto and with DiveMate - nothing happens. I am a Mac(er) and expect everything done for me, when I plug in MacDive the winow opens downloads etc etc.

I am running trial (unpaid) DiveMate - is that why nothing happens do you think? Or do you need to 'turn on' OTG somehow? Maybe I need to buy a Samsung tablet. I am shy to buy software before I see it works, as I will probably want the transfer pack as well as the map pack, ends up like $50CDN

I think there is something to 'turn on'

It has been a while since I did this. I can't remember if the transfer pack has to be enabled before it will recognise the compute or if the OS will popup a notice.
Since you pulled out an "old" tablet, thd old Andriod version could be an issue.

Thanks JD, I got it working on my old LG Gpad 8 (2) !!! After a frustrating time trying to use a OTG cable in the miniUSB port I found a full size USB port under a cover on the top of the screen! Wow! Bought the Dive mate pack and it connected to the Suunto without a flaw although the 'Transfer Pack' doesn't seem to work nor the Maps Pack - hope that was not a waste of money there - really - charging to let me transfer old dives from MacDive(?) not really promoting switch users! Not impressed yet with DiveMate!

Anyway the tablet will save me weight and with OTG I can stick my camera cards in the USB slot and directly transfer the contents to the Memory expansion slot for redundant backups - so I am happy with the hardware. Thanks again for your comments - they kept me going at it!

Edit - Ahha - finally figured out to put the MacDive dive files into the DiveMate folder. Beginning to work out Android!

Back
Top Bottom