Suunto SK7 - either compass for mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Tobin,

Leisure Pro sells different mounting versions of the SK7 Compass . The wrist mount is not in stock but the "Add on" compass, SKU: SQTSK7B is. It's also $5 less expensive. Do you know if I can use that as the core for your mount or do I need to order the wrist mount?

I'd hate to order it, and find out that it won't fit your mount and not be able to return it becuase I damage the original taking it apart.

Thanks,
Jim

PS Your suggestion to hold the inflator on my chest in my right hand, and hold the butt dump in my left was great. It works well and helps me to keep my hands quiet. Both are good things for a new diver.

Jim,

It'll work fine. Just take EXTREME care in popping the module out of the case. Just pop the bezel off, the module out and then reverse it for the DSS mount. I've done this exact samething about three times.

Michael

Hi Tobin,

Leisure Pro sells different mounting versions of the SK7 Compass . The wrist mount is not in stock but the "Add on" compass, SKU: SQTSK7B is. It's also $5 less expensive. Do you know if I can use that as the core for your mount or do I need to order the wrist mount?

I'd hate to order it, and find out that it won't fit your mount and not be able to return it becuase I damage the original taking it apart.

Thanks,
Jim

PS Your suggestion to hold the inflator on my chest in my right hand, and hold the butt dump in my left was great. It works well and helps me to keep my hands quiet. Both are good things for a new diver.

As Michael said, the compass and friction ring you can recover from the console "add on" unit will work fine.

The console add on is usually the least expensive way to purchase an SK7.

Tobin

Just to add some first hand experience ... I bought the Add On version to put in Tobin's boot

Like Michael said ... use extreme care popping the compass out ... you would hate to bust the compass trying to force it out of the original housing. Personally I let it sit in warm water for awhile then had some fun with a Dremel tool cutting away small sections at a time. :)

Thanks, I thought I might do that if it was a "hard mount", which is why I wanted to make sure the basic compass was the same and would fit Tobin's mount.

I got the Uwatec Tec 2G computer out of it's boot using popsicle sticks to spread the rubber wrist band in a few places. It worked great.

So reviving an old thread, does anyone have any opinion on which mount is easiest​ to get out? I'd rather pay $5 extra an increase my odds of not stuffing it.

I doubt that it'll matter.

It's not really that hard to get the compass out, as long as you soak it first in really hot water.

Inn general if you are worried about breaking or cracking the liquid filled compass module more cutting and less prying is the answer.

Just don't cut the friction ring and bezel.

The OEM mount is going in the trash anyway....

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom