Should we petition Suunto to keep support for us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastjet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got this message today from Suunto. I own a few HelO2 and used to own Vypers. I know a majority of the divers around me use either a zoop or vyper... and those being the more common dive computer for many. Not sure what Suunto plans for us... but we should make our voices heard to Suunto.
cleardot.gif

Here is the email I got from them:
Suunto

b9TVVsDnaQIzSfMNej34ZqLycwvHRkslY-L6fj_aNbQka_FCOPGkbrIajCk9xHJ27C88SScjOj_kEQwn_WPvMGzFzn19-9feU9837KBmwhvGksbpdqv3mw=s0-d-e1-ft
View Web Version
agiUPpEekmEvyTDNsh0HVLvQ2FiizXLOq_7C610VfN2S2DWCv6SYWXnjh1kuOq1v1bSoBvEAPH8bkp5v5RSnwGdBIUh2rq-pBpX0-VTmjiaPDPak2zdRFimOOQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Suunto community member,

We wanted to share some important news about our digital services.

In April 2018 we launched our new service, Suunto app with the intent to deliver a better experience for the Suunto community as a whole. If you haven’t checked out Suunto app yet, now is a great time! You can download it today for iOS or Android.

Here are some key features we’ve recently added to Suunto app:

• connection with key sports services beginning with Strava, so you can share and analyze your sports with communities you want.
  • customizable social sharing enabling you to choose what training data you want to share, when and how you want.
  • activity-specific heatmaps and route planning (Suunto 9 and Spartan) to enable your adventures no matter where you may be.
  • sport mode customization (Suunto 9, Suunto 3 and Spartan) so you can choose the data you want to see on your watch during your training.
  • Basic compatibility for Ambit3 and Traverse, Traverse Alpha and EON Dive computers.

These additions are only the beginning. We are building Suunto app to be your mobile adventure companion, and to enrich your overall Suunto experience.
LEARN MORE

It is within this context that we will begin to ramp down our previous digital service, Suunto Movescount, with a target of closing the service, at earliest in summer 2020. We will share updates regularly via email and on suunto.com/transition. Our website and this email (which will come regularly throughout 2019) will always be the latest source of information related to our digital service transition to Suunto app.

We will also provide a way to share your feedback with us directly, and we’ll tell you more about that in our next email update.

Read more about the news here, including some key FAQ.

Thanks everyone, we look forward to the journey and our adventures together in the future!

Your Suunto team.
READ MORE

FIND A LOCAL DEALER

SUUNTO WEBSHOP

SUPPORT

And the learn more:

Stay connected - transfer from Suunto Movescount to Suunto app

EON Steel and EON Core
The compatiblity for these dive computers includes

• synchronization of your full dive history to Suunto app directly from your dive computer
  • ability to view and analyze dives
  • enriching your dive logs in Suunto app with images and descriptions
  • share images of memorable dives to social media
We continue developing the Suunto app to provide an enriching user experience for everyone in the Suunto community.

Other dive computers connecting to Movescount via DM5
Suunto dive computers including D4i, D4i novo, D6i, D6i Novo, D9i, DX, Zoop, Zoop Novo, Vyper, Vyper Novo, Helo2, Vyper2 and Cobra2 will not be compatible with Suunto app due to no mobile connectivity (Bluetooth).

i feel that they drop application support only, which is not that important given we have other dive log applications.

This is about their sports watch web site/app "Movescount". Only their newest DC's are able to connect to this site. Who cares? Has nothing to do with supporting their dive computers and DM5.

I'd change my vote if I could. I've never used the Suunto computer application. SubSurface is free and does everything I want.

Doesn't sound like this has any affect on the DM5, which is the primary application for Suunto dive computers.

The sky is not falling.

Killing movescount is a good thing (It is terrible). They are simply replacing it with a hopefully better app. They are not discontinuing support.

I will continue to use MacDive on my iphone.

Not that relevant to us IMO.

The issue seems to be that the old product supported a wide variety of suunto products. The new product is very limited, for the vast majority of suunto comptuers it doesn't appear suunto has a supported application at this point.

Luckily, as others have pointed out, there is subsurface. IMO it's better than the suunto (and every one from other manufacturers as well) solution in every way anyway. Maybe suunto will include subsurface when they sell computers not supported by any software going forward.

The issue seems to be that the old product supported a wide variety of suunto products. The new product is very limited, for the vast majority of suunto comptuers it doesn't appear suunto has a supported application at this point.

I think there is a huge confusion about what Movescount is, it is a fitness social community similar to a run tracking website except it covers all the sports that their watches support including the ability to upload dives through DM5. It isn't a dive logging software, like Subsurface or the far superior Macdive. Suunto's dive logging software is DM5, which though is a bug ridden program there is no indication that support will be dropped for DM5, at least until they decide to make DM6.

Now I do think there is a good chance that Suunto will update DM5 (which it indicates in the announcement above) to allow the uploading of dives from non-bluetooth computers to the new service. But honestly who did that in the past? About the only positive is maybe they will fix some bugs in the process.

Back
Top Bottom