Suunto Vyper Air Black - Compass Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I just received Viper Air as a replacement to my now dead Vytec, and I am having problem with entering the compass mode from the TIME screen. When I press and hold "SELECT" button it enters the FactoryCalib mode for compass and seem to get stuck there - the numbers representing directional heading / azimuth jump all over the place and change drastically whenever is unit is tilted even slightly. This FactoryCalib mode doesn't go away and goes in circles from North to East to South to West and over. The numerical readings are mostly wrong, sometimes as much as by 90 - 100 degrees.
However, when entering Compass mode from the DIVE screen - everything seems to work as expected. I was able to calibrate the unit and the azimuth readings shown while in DIVE seem to match my analog compass.
Can anybody help with an advice on how to complete the FactoryCalib properly?

Thank you,
Vlad

RichWilx,

When calibrating the compass, hold the computer very level and turn it slowly. If you cannot calibrate the compass, your next step should be to take it to the store from where you purchased it. Have one of the store associates try and calibrate it for you. If they determine there is a malfunction then the computer should be replaced since you just purchased it.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I have lately been diving with a Cobra 3 but prefer a mechanical compass as it is always there. The problem I'm having is that the mechanical compass jambs randomly underwater and the electronic one on the same console in the Cobra 3 also stops. I swapped in another mechanical one thinking it was a pressure problem but it does it also. I then have to resort to navigating by looking at my kid's console who has a Cobra 1 with a mechanical compass in the console. It works fine. Could my two compasses so close in the console be conflicting? I can't find any other magnetic source. Not seen this in my 25yr dive career.

...snip...

From what ypu wrote it seems like you may be inadvertently tilting your compass past level/its designed tilt angle when taking a reading....this will cause the compass card to jam-up in its housing. Some compasses are designed to be able to be tilted more than others...digital and mechanical. For instance the vyper 2 has a 15 degree allowable tilt range and the vyper air has a 45 degree allowable tilt range.

-Z

Thanks. I tried at all different angles and shaking the compasses to unstick them. I'm thinking that an electronic compass is not usable when you have a mechanical one. The manual makes no mention but physics seems to bear this out. Whether the electronic compass also interferes with the mechanical one is not entirely clear to me. Also the manual makes zero mention despite having detailed warnings about all sorts of other silly things like USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS which in this case is hazardous.

In comparing all my Suunto mechanical compasses I'm now thinking that my original one on the Cobra 1 is good and the other 2 are bad. They both have an air bubble. I'm going to swap in an uwatec one I have that doesn't have a bubble. The Cobra 3 electronic compass refuses to indicate a West heading.

Wow so many issues all at once makes things disorientating. :)

Thanks. I tried at all different angles and shaking the compasses to unstick them. I'm thinking that an electronic compass is not usable when you have a mechanical one. The manual makes no mention but physics seems to bear this out. Whether the electronic compass also interferes with the mechanical one is not entirely clear to me. Also the manual makes zero mention despite having detailed warnings about all sorts of other silly things like USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS which in this case is hazardous.

In comparing all my Suunto mechanical compasses I'm now thinking that my original one on the Cobra 1 is good and the other 2 are bad. They both have an air bubble. I'm going to swap in an uwatec one I have that doesn't have a bubble. The Cobra 3 electronic compass refuses to indicate a West heading.

Wow so many issues all at once makes things disorientating. :)

Dunno....I dive with a Vyper Air on my right wrist and a Suunto SK8 on the back of my left hand....I dive with both in front of me kinda like I have a dashboard...I have never had an issue when playing with the built in compass on the vyper air.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom