Suunto Vyper "Deep Stop Violation"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anybody help?

I did three dives in the Caribbean last week. They were as follows:

• 20metres / 39 minutes
  • 16metres / 54 minutes
  • 13metres / 51 minutes

All were on air and these were the deepest points with a nice slow ascent and a stop at 5 metres for 3 minutes. I was accompnaying my daughter on her OW cert dives so you can imagine it was easy going. These all had loads of no-deco time left on the Vyper

Nothing untoward happened but when I import into DM5 it shows a Deep Stop Violation just as I entered the water for the second dive. As I say nothing was showing in the Vyper.

Can anybody help explain this? It also says that I surfaced early which I didn't and that I had an ascent warning which I didn't. At the end of the 3rd dive I did get the warning Triangle to extend SI but as we were finished I wasn't concerned.

deep%20stop%20violation.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Can anybody help?

I did three dives in the Caribbean last week. They were as follows:

• 20metres / 39 minutes
  • 16metres / 54 minutes
  • 13metres / 51 minutes

All were on air and these were the deepest points with a nice slow ascent and a stop at 5 metres for 3 minutes. I was accompnaying my daughter on her OW cert dives so you can imagine it was easy going. These all had loads of no-deco time left on the Vyper

Nothing untoward happened but when I import into DM5 it shows a Deep Stop Violation just as I entered the water for the second dive. As I say nothing was showing in the Vyper.

Can anybody help explain this? It also says that I surfaced early which I didn't and that I had an ascent warning which I didn't. At the end of the 3rd dive I did get the warning Triangle to extend SI but as we were finished I wasn't concerned.

deep%20stop%20violation.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

This happens to me, too, on the 2nd dive of the morning. On other boards, I've seen people mention this happening if their surface interval is under an hour, but mine have come with over an hour SI, sometimes well over an hour. Whatever the reason, It has to be a bug to give that warning at the very beginning of the dive, rather than at the end. None of my dives have been deco, and my Vyper never said I got to the no-stop limit at any point.

This happens to me, too, on the 2nd dive of the morning. On other boards, I've seen people mention this happening if their surface interval is under an hour, but mine have come with over an hour SI, sometimes well over an hour. Whatever the reason, It has to be a bug to give that warning at the very beginning of the dive, rather than at the end. None of my dives have been deco, and my Vyper never said I got to the no-stop limit at any point.

Or.. a function of the proprietary RGBM algorithm for which the specific operating parameters are not known. Consumer beware.

I don't know if you can enable deep-stops on Vyper - for sure you can do it on D6i.
If enabled - the D6i screen show you the need of the deep-stop as soon as it become necessary (according the algorithm).
Then when ascending, reaching the actual deep-stop depth the display change and, until you stay at the required depth a countdown shows you how many seconds (usually it is less than a minute) you need to stay there.
If you ignore it and continue ascending, the computer register the violation and it will be shown on DM5 and also in the log (if you advance until the moment the violation happened). I never saw the violation on the DM5 next dive graph, only where it happened - meaning somewhere ascending to 10-12 m in the previous dive (yes I know the deep stop depend on the actual max depth, the latter was just an example).
Somewhere in the manual, if I remember well, there is written that nothing change for the current dive in case of deep stop violation, but the algorithm could keep a conservative behaviour for the next dives.
A couple of year ago I enabled the deep stop feature, and I missed a deep stop every two: no signal from the computer and I was not used to pay attention to deep stops ... Then I disabled the feature ...
The Helo2 has deep stop feature permanently enabled (cannot be disabled).

It could easily be a difference in sample rate, as used to happen with the older Suunto DM.

All post dive software calculates only using the recorded data, which is usually far less than the dive computer uses during the dive.

As long as the dive computer does not show a violation then one did not occur.

Sorry to bump this again but I can add that I'm working with Suunto for any number of DM5-related issues right now. So far they are:

1) Second dives of the day are shown at crazy-deep depths (so they've had me go back to a previous version [that I have to disconnect from the Internet when I start LOL!!]) to fix.

2) Having to let the Cobras stay connected to the laptop and re-sync 15-20 times to actually get all the fives pulled of of the Cobra (and with the reloads that start me fresh, it's getting old!)

3) The temperature is right for the first 10-15 feet of a dive, then (according to DM5) says 32F. I'm not sure if that's DM5 or the Cobra, but I can't check it against other products like Subsurface because they don't seem to graph temp along the dive.

4) Now this one too..

Sorry, I love my Cobra in the water (which I need to check temp more often as I descend), but this is getting ridiculous, I'm at the point where I'm questioning my DC, and if it goes much further I might have to consider a different brand since this seems to affect more than the Cobra model.

I don't know what causes it, but when I download my dives to Subsurface, it will sometimes show violations in the dive profile that I did not get from my Vyper Novo during the dive.

Just yesterday, my wife and I did a couple of dives at one of the local quarries. When I downloaded the dives, at the very end of the second dive which was an average of 27 feet with a max of 39 ft for a total dive time of 45 minutes on air, the dive profile showed a tissue warning. We had done more than a 3 minute safety stop, although we had been moving horizontally in the water column during the safety stop period. My DC showed no warnings at all, but when downloaded, there is was. The first dive was a similar profile except it was for 55 minutes. We then had a 1 hour SI.

I've gotten to the point where I will look at them to see what they are for, but if my DC doesn't have an issue with what I'm doing during my dive, I don't worry about what it shows afterward.

re-Deep Stops violation!
I just read an article in the June 2018 Special Edition of Tech Diving Mag on a recent study on deep stops.
I recommend anyone using or considering deep stops read the article "Deep Stops Revisited".

Back
Top Bottom