Suunto Vyper weirdness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did a nice beach dive yesterday morning, then while washing my gear my Vyper starts beeping and flashing like crazy and thinks it's diving to 400 feet! Hours later it acts like it's still diving. Is it toast? (Bought new in 2005 from an authorized dealer, has about 200 dives on it)

Did something I do cause this?

Any way to retrieve my dive log for the last 4 or 5 dives? One buddy who services dive gear for most of the shops in the area thinks it's probably history (he hasn't seen it yet), but thought pulling the battery might bring it back to life

Is it even safe to dive with any more?

The Vyper is an OK computer, and I really wasn't planning on upgrading to a fancier computer (since I'd have to buy two, so my wife has the same gear as me), so is my only option buying a new one? Should I specify anything special for it to go in the console boot if I buy another Vyper?

There are a large number of threads with Suunto computers' sensors going to heck. If you search 'suunto sensor issue' you'll see many. There is some advice in those threads for a possible way to "shock" the sensor back to sense (so to speak) using hot water, bleach and other means.

I don't have any other answers, however there is a post where a rep from Suunto is answering questions in this forum.

undrwater - thanks! I searched back through previous posts, and also talked to the Suunto service guys in FL this morning. Response was that once computer self dives, it's "game over". Hot water probably isn't the solution, since the problem started washing my dive gear with me in the shower. I haven't had time to pull the Vyper out of the console yet to see what it looks like, or if anything is covering or clogging the sensor; that's my fun plans for tonight

Geoff,

Glad that to hear you have already spoke with the service center. Unfortunately, this issue is only covered under 5 years warranty in the United States. As far as retrieving your old dives, you can try to take the battery out and then reinstall to try and enable the TR-PC mode of your Vyper. If your computer seems fine after reinstalling the battery, do not think that it is ok to dive because it is not. There is a fault within the pressure sensor circuit of the computer and, burned into the memory which will never be able to be reset. There is a holiday special going on right now through any Aqua Lung/ Suunto dealer in the US. With the purchase of any new D-series computer or Vyper Air, you will receive a wireless transmitter ($450 value) for free.
Best Regards & Safe Diving,
Chris from Suunto
2012_suunto_holiday_694x484px.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Suunto Holiday Special.jpg

Geoff,

Glad that to hear you have already spoke with the service center. Unfortunately, this issue is only covered under 5 years warranty in the United States. As far as retrieving your old dives, you can try to take the battery out and then reinstall to try and enable the TR-PC mode of your Vyper. If your computer seems fine after reinstalling the battery, do not think that it is ok to dive because it is not. There is a fault within the pressure sensor circuit of the computer and, burned into the memory which will never be able to be reset. There is a holiday special going on right now through any Aqua Lung/ Suunto dealer in the US. With the purchase of any new D-series computer or Vyper Air, you will receive a wireless transmitter ($450 value) for free.

View attachment 139883
Chris - thanks! I didn't expect it to be covered under any warranty after this many years, just hoping it was repairable instead of having to buy a replacement... or upgrade mine and my wife's to something better (I just can't see spending 2 X $1,200 for a pair of Cobalts right now). You confirmed what I was afraid of. This kind of failure (pressure sensor) makes me especially gun shy of going for anything with more technology, either wireless or air integrated. Too bad Suunto doesn't have the "trade in any dive computer - working or not" deal going on any more :( I could have used it right now)

Is there anything better than the Vyper that is non-air integrated and will fit into the same console?

The Vyper (of that generation) along with the Gekko and then the Zoop are all more or less the exact same computer. I know the Gekko had download capability disabled but there was a way to enable it in the firmware bascially turning them into a white coloured Vyper. I had a Gekko and also a Vyper (which I still have and run as a backup gauge). The Zoop replaced the Gekko and I think had downloading enabled again. They are all the same sized puck and all will slide straight into your console, you just remove the strap and pop them in, they lock in place.

So if I were you I'd get a Zoop, they are cheap as chips, and apart from the colour will be identical to what you had that just crapped itself. Maybe give your wife the pretty new yellow one :p

The Vyper (of that generation) along with the Gekko and then the Zoop are all more or less the exact same computer...
Has the Vyper changed from 2005 to now? If so, how?

Current ones have matrix display, compass, etc
Nope - that's a different model. According to my LDS, the Vyper is still the same computer as when I bought it back in '95

I pulled it out of the console, popped the battery off, put it all back together, and was able to pull the history for my last few dives I hadn't recorded in my dive log. And now it's self-diving again, so I'm pretty certain I don't want to dive with it ever again. I ordered a replacement from my LDS, although after this I can't see buying Suunto products ever again. I'm going to hold onto the dead one until I see a "trade in your old dive computer, working or not" deal for something I like better. I've seen enough divers have problems syncing their computer with the transmitter before a dive I don't want the bother. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to justify springing for an Atomic Cobalt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom