Suunto Zoop NOVO vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THarrison01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am getting my certification and would like to get a computer and like these two. Can anyone tell me what is better and why?

The Geo 2 offers a choice of 2 decompression algorithms, liberal DSAT or middle of the road PZ+. Suunto offers their conservative RGBM algorithm. The Aqua Lung computer is a rebadged Oceanic Veo 2 without dual algorithm, only PZ+. Personally, I would go with the Geo2.

I would highly recommend the Geo 2. Suunto is too conservative. I have had both and love the Geo 2,

I have a suunto cobra and a suunto zoop and have never had either give me problems or be anymore "conservative" than the guys that dive oceanic with us even with a few dives in the 100' range. I do know that if I exceed certain things like greater than 30' per min accent rate then it flags and adds on to my surface interval. I very rarely get even close to my NDL so that could be part of why I do not see any difference in the conservatism. Both I am sure are excellent computers for a recreational diver so its more or less a Chevy or Ford question.

I have a suunto cobra and a suunto zoop and have never had either give me problems or be anymore "conservative" than the guys that dive oceanic with us even with a few dives in the 100' range. I do know that if I exceed certain things like greater than 30' per min accent rate then it flags and adds on to my surface interval. I very rarely get even close to my NDL so that could be part of why I do not see any difference in the conservatism. Both I am sure are excellent computers for a recreational diver so its more or less a Chevy or Ford question.

Basic dive computers have very similar features, the decompression algorithm is one significant difference that one might want to take into consideration. This may be more important for divers with lower gas consumption, whose dives may be limited by NDL rather than by gas consumption. This may also be more important when making multiple dives per day. Many newer divers do not know that there are many different decompression algorithms with significant differences in how they perform. All of them are safe when implemented correctly.

I do not want to distract from the OP questions. Is there any real world numbers on the actual time differences from Suunto to others to give a claim that the deco algorithms are significantly different. I do agree that the RGBM is a more conservative algorithm but exactly by how much? i am mostly curious and it might help the OP make a decision on what they wish to purchase. If it is 30 seconds at 100fsw or an additional 5 min surface interval then to me that is not significant and a small buffer to aire on the the side of safety makes more sense to me as a new diver. I have always read but never experienced a real world difference as I am sure others have.

When my Oceanic Geo 2 was new, I wore both the Suunto Mosquito and the Ocean Geo 2 at the same time. The Oceanic Geo gave me double the bottom time as the Suunto Mosquito.

I own the Geo2 and like it, but I cannot say it is better or worse than the Zoop Novo or i300. I do have a Aeris A100, which strangely enough, does not have a clock. It knows time differences (surface intervals or time-to-fly), but has no concept of the time-of-day or date. The log feature does not indicate when each dive occurred. Strange.

Two thoughts:

• Maybe this is too soon for you to invest in expensive gear. There are lots of reasons people quit, sometime even medical reasons. My dive shop sells a plethora of "Almost New" gear from people who gave up diving after the cert course, or a few dives later. I'm sure these people lost most of their money. For example, I just bought a used computer from them for $150. It only had 8 dives in memory!! They had a stack from which to choose.

• The Geo2 is a 'watch size' computer. The screen is smaller and all the indicators and readouts are smaller. Since you are only 14 years old, I doubt you have presbyopia (aka old-people-need-reading-glasses). However, if you requre glasses, be sure to check if you can read the screen without them (or buy prescription mask).

I do not want to distract from the OP questions. Is there any real world numbers on the actual time differences from Suunto to others to give a claim that the deco algorithms are significantly different. I do agree that the RGBM is a more conservative algorithm but exactly by how much? i am mostly curious and it might help the OP make a decision on what they wish to purchase. If it is 30 seconds at 100fsw or an additional 5 min surface interval then to me that is not significant and a small buffer to aire on the the side of safety makes more sense to me as a new diver. I have always read but never experienced a real world difference as I am sure others have.

See the 2014 ScubaLab results from computer testing in the Catalina hyperbaric chamber. There will be additional results soon, when 2016 computer review is posted

Attachments

• ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 392
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom