Suunto zoop question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might think that but you're thinking is not applicable to dive trips in tropical destinations where the dives are clearly stated to be no deco dives as per the rules of the boat op and the boat captain.

That is still NDL shopping. And why do they do that? If 90% of the customers are not trained it is an easy rule. Run it such that everyone on the boat is capable and suddenly the rules change.

Btw, quoting a bottom depth, a 20ft wid margin of average depth and a time doesn't make a profile.

Algorithms are at best, an educated guess based on theoretical models. That's why they differ so widely between various computer manufacturers. Think about the dual algorithm computers marketed nowadays. It's up to the diver. Go ahead, pick one. Do I want more NDL bottom time or do I want an extra safety margin? Who knows?

They get man tested too. So there are expectations of people getting bent. And of course people get bent within even 'conservative' limits.

Sorry if my posts are ambiguous. I'm simply stating that out of about 20 divers on the 3 tank wrek trek, the 2 divers using Zoops were limited to significantly shorter dives, doing similar profiles to the rest of us, because Zoops are much more conservative.

You asked about depth and bottom times- The Spiegel Grove sits at 130', our average depth was in the 60-80' range because there's a lot of superstructure and good stuff to see at that depth, the Duane is upright in about 120' and our average depth was about 80' spending our time at or above the main deck, and the Bibb lays on its side at 135' which makes the average depth closer to 90-100'.

Dive times were about 25 minutes on the Duane, 20 minutes on the Bibb and 45 minutes on the Spiegel Grove.

Who would care? I would care if I was using a computer that -to me- has a rather arbitrary limiting algorithm that chopped significant amounts of time off of my dives or forced me to sit on the line, doing deco stops that are not necessary when diving other computers with less conservative algorithms. Also- we're all diving AL80s so if a diver is forced to do deco stops they're going to have less bottom time on the wreck because they need the extra gas for those deco stops.
I would be curious to know what your computer showed as average depth and dive times, as well as SI's for each of these dives. Was EAN being used? Reason I ask is that I have been using a GEO 2.0 along side a Sunnto for the last year. Sure the Geo gives me more NDL time but I have not had a dive cut short due to the Sunnto.

I would be curious to know what your computer showed as average depth and dive times, as well as SI's for each of these dives. Was EAN being used? Reason I ask is that I have been using a GEO 2.0 along side a Sunnto for the last year. Sure the Geo gives me more NDL time but I have not had a dive cut short due to the Sunnto.

We were diving EAN32

From my Subsurface digital logbook, with the dive data imported from my wrist computer:

Spiegel Grove Avg depth 62' 36 min
Bibb Avg Depth 72' 29 min
Duane Avg Depth 70' 29 min

SIs 1 hr 9 min 1 hr 6 min

If you're that dependent on your computer to tell you what to do during a dive... that your decisions are affected by the "threats" it makes... you might find further training useful and enlightening. There was a time when people dove without computers. And some people still do.

I'll modify my previous statement: the computer should not be the boss of you. Of course if you allow it to be... that's between you and your computer.
Maybe you didn't read my reply .. this was a post to see if something was wrong with my computer .. I'm a very educated person and know to not let my computer boss me .. it was a simple tech question

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom