Swim fins for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never thought vintage fins or vintage masks were worth the agony. Modern masks and modern fins are far more comfortable and easier to enjoy than vintage stuff due to advances in chemical sciences since the 50's and 1960's.

I dare anyone to make three dives a day for a week straight with a hard rubber mask skirt and the high volume discomfort of an old Voit or USD mask. I don't know about anyone else but I hate it. Likewise, I dare anyone to enjoy the wood like stiffness of an old mono VOIT UDT, USD Rocket I or Duck Feet model. The Lightning Jet is a little better and will definitely move some water but I can get so much more comfort and enjoyability from my Hollis F1's and they do not look out of place at all using a double hose and a steel plate, steel tank, cotton harness and no BCD.

The ultra low volume Technisub Micromask or Scubapro Frameless feels like leak free butter on my face due to the super soft silicone.

Not everything was better in those misty days of yore.

You may want to consider a freedive type fin. You should realize EXCELLENT performance from a MAKO fiberglass blade with a full footpocket. I would strongly recommend the SOFT fiberglass blade. This should be relatively easy to kick and will hopefully address the ankle issues you reference. These fins are also (slightly) negatively buoyant and will deliver all the power and control you will want when scuba diving.

We offer other less expensive fins, but if you are really looking for excellent performance and a very easy to kick blade, this would be my recommendation. If you wear 3 or 5 mm neoprene socks, I think you will find the MAKO pockets to be significantly more ergonomic (and comfortable) compared to any jet fin (unless of course your feet are rectangular blocks).

If you have very small feet, you might try the Los Ninos fins (very small foot pockets) and less than $50.

Competition Fiberglass Fins for Women | MAKO Spearguns

View attachment 449294

Oh yeah I intend to get those for Freediving, they are on my list already! I also think it’s interesting how people are cutting down your plastic fins to make a travel fin.

I never thought vintage fins or vintage masks were worth the agony. Modern masks and modern fins are far more comfortable and easier to enjoy than vintage stuff due to advances in chemical sciences since the 50's and 1960's.

I dare anyone to make three dives a day for a week straight with a hard rubber mask skirt and the high volume discomfort of an old Voit or USD mask. I don't know about anyone else but I hate it. Likewise, I dare anyone to enjoy the wood like stiffness of an old mono VOIT UDT, USD Rocket I or Duck Feet model. The Lightning Jet is a little better and will definitely move some water but I can get so much more comfort and enjoyability from my Hollis F1's and they do not look out of place at all using a double hose and a steel plate, steel tank, cotton harness and no BCD.

The ultra low volume Technisub Micromask or Scubapro Frameless feels like leak free butter on my face due to the super soft silicone.

Oval masks may not be comfy but they sure look cool

Oh yeah I intend to get those for Freediving, they are on my list already! I also think it’s interesting how people are cutting down your plastic fins to make a travel fin.

Thanks! try them for scuba.. I don't think you will be looking for other fins. They are extremely popular with serious scuba spearfishers.

For travel and for getting them into my luggage I will just disassemble them and reassemble them when I get to my final destination. Takes about 5 minutes and a quarter of a beer.

PS. Get the Mako brand. Customer service and a quality product.

Last edited:

I dare anyone to make three dives a day for a week straight with a hard rubber mask skirt and the high volume discomfort of an old Voit or USD mask. I don't know about anyone else but I hate it.

There were definite improvements made along the way and I very happily traded my oval mask for a new Cressi Pinocchio and never looked back. SPGs were a nice addition too!

Oval masks may not be comfy but they sure look cool

Aqua Lung still makes the oval Pacifica mask but with a soft silicone skirt but go to a dive shop where they have one on display and pick it up, or bring your luggage scale and weigh it - then weigh a freediving type mask. That difference is going to be felt in your luggage and on your neck for an hour in the water X 3 or 4 dives a day for a week if you're on a dedicated dive trip. But agreed, a classic oval mask looks great.

Aqua Lung still makes the oval Pacifica mask but with a soft silicone skirt but go to a dive shop where they have one on display and pick it up, or bring your luggage scale and weigh it - then weigh a freediving type mask. That difference is going to be felt in your luggage and on your neck for an hour in the water X 3 or 4 dives a day for a week if you're on a dedicated dive trip. But agreed, a classic oval mask looks great.
I think it’s more something to display on a shelf... the new freediving mask for actually getting in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom