"Swim with the Dolphins" Good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a break from another thread about whether to go to a resort that feeds Rays. I've never been to one and I'm curious, would you or have you gone swimming with the dolphins? What do you think about "Swim with the Dolphin" type operations? Should they be shut down or promoted? Good, bad or don't know?

EDIT: To clarify, I am talking about swimming with CAPTIVE Dolphins and allow interaction like touching and riding.

Is it perhaps arrogant to think that we swim with dolphins? Sure we may go to where they are and encounter them but given their far superior abilities in the water are they not choosing to swim with us?

I feel that was the case when we spent time with Poco the Beluga whale.

I don't know about specific operations but as long as they are just placing divers in the midst I don't know of a reason to have a problem with this. The one thing I do wonder about is the disturbance of mating or other natural cycles. There may be times when they are best not visited. Someone more knowledgeable will weigh in on this I am sure.

Pete

Pete

depends on the operation, i suppose

we went to one in Roatan, at Anthony's Keys Resort, and the dolphins were well cared for, healthy, and came and went. they all basically "chose" to stick around (they're not dumb)

we really enjoyed it, and the kids in our group just loved it

diver dennis,
at akr they explained to us that the dolphins choose to stay
one reason we were told that they like the free feed.
they also said they appreciate the safety of the pin.
the fence is less than 1ft above the water line.
they could leave if they wished to.
i know that most of the members on this board do not agree.
regards,

I only eat none dolphin safe tuna :)

I personally think penned up critters like at a zoo are just dumb. . .

Not being a PETA nut but come on a critter that spends it's life roaming free is now living in a area of maybe a couple of acres. . .

Actually Braden, Dolphins will not jump over a fence like that. They can but won't. That's why they get caught in tuna nets and don't escape. It's the same with the Japanese whale hunt, you don't see footage of them jumping over the edge of the nets.

I don't know how many agree with this practice, I'm just trying to find out.

Diver Dennis:
So they weren't penned Andy?

oh yeah ... they get taken out regularly, though

the dolphins don't run away when given the chance. their buddies are inside, they get fed, and they get to play ... it's a pretty good life for a dolphin

the wild is a harsh place, Disney documentaries aside

Back
Top Bottom