swimming with a Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pretty awesome, something I have always wanted to experience myself.

Thrill of a lifetime. That must have been a cool experience!

Some of it might even be real.

Watch it again. The close ups were shot later and edited in for effect. So all the timing is off. We show the diver going down (no GW in the shot) then cut to the shark swimming in (no diver in the shot). Then that shot from the shark's perspective (shark-cam) with the guy reaching out and pushing on the camera... Funny!

So much is camtrickery that the whole is to be view with a grain of salt.

They do like to put some effects. But I read it's part of a documentary. I dont know if that info is true, as I dont know if it's a scam. I tought it looked genuine though, except like you say the close-ups (unless he'd have a head cam.). But I'm no techno expert.

I did a series of GW cage dives...............there is NO way I am going in the water with those fishies free swimming. Even though they could probably get in the cage if they wanted to, it gave a (false) sense of security to be inside a metal construction with other divers. These are BIG and scary fish, makes you feel right where you belong: at the bottom of the food chain in the presence of a GW

Rick Inman:
Some of it might even be real.

Watch it again. The close ups were shot later and edited in for effect. So all the timing is off. We show the diver going down (no GW in the shot) then cut to the shark swimming in (no diver in the shot). Then that shot from the shark's perspective (shark-cam) with the guy reaching out and pushing on the camera... Funny!

So much is camtrickery that the whole is to be view with a grain of salt.

There were a number of threads last year about a diver operator out of south africa who swam with great whites.

Not sure if this is the same guy. Cool video though :)

Bjorn

I have no doubt that parts of the video are, indeed, real.

I also have no doubt that parts of it are really unwise.

Of course, knowledge is very powerful, and the more one knows about the wildlife with which they interact, the less likely thay are to be injured. After all, Steve Irwin spent his whole life playing tag with alligators. There is a difference, though. Steve usually didn't quite meet the gators on their own turf (the water), but chose to stay on land most of the time and "wrestle" them there. That gave him a slight (many times, VERY slight) advantage. These divers are on the shark's home ground, and I firmly believe that if that big boy decided he really wanted to sample an arm or leg, the swimmer would be lunch.
More adrenaline than this ol' boy needs.

Me personally I want nothing to do with sharks even diving with nurse sharks around makes me nervous as HE!L thats just me though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom