Switched from TIFF to RAW and now.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS 6.0 doesnt support RAW only version 7 with the raw plug in or CS with the camera raw plugin included.

FWIW

Tooth

I was at Fry's today and say Elements3 for $59 after mail-in rebate. Sounds like that would be a good option.

Wildcard:
My frikkin computer keeps telling me there are no pics in the camera! Help please! What do I need to change here?

Adobe does NOT keep old versions of PS up to date with RAW plugins. The last PS 6 update with RAW support appears to be from 5/1/2001.

IMO if you use Adobe PS, the upgrade to CS is HUGE. The RAW support is excellent, and there are a ton of features in CS that make it worth the cost of the upgrade.

That said, I'm surprised that you OLY software does NOT handle RAW. Then again, OLY RAW software support is basically worthless from what I've read. I have read that the new software in support of the E1 SLR is good, but not a freebie.

IMO, RAW is a seriously valuable option, this is more true in environments where WB is difficult to nail.

Another HUGE feature of CS is the Shadow/Highlight tool that allows one to bring out blocked blacks, or tone down highlights in a few seconds. These types of adjustments could take hours to complete in previous version of Adobe, and often NEVER came out all that good.

If you are NOT a legal owner of PS 6, than the upgrade is not an option. CS has a activation codes, and if the activation is not completed within 30 days of install, the software disables.

BTW, IMO TIFF is a waste of time as it is an 8bit file format (unlike RAW) and the high res jpg will give you quality that rivals TIFF, but is MUCH smaller, and faster to shoot.

Good Luck,
Ron

You can view RAW files with Camedia software that comes with the camera.

Here is the latest link for the RAW plugin for PS. I don't know if it works with PS6 but it does for PS7. It is a RAW converter and will convert one image at a time to work on.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/#plugins

GOOD NEWS I just looked and it says it will work with PS6!!!!!!!!

Ron

8bit tiff isnt a worthless option, just not a useful straight out of the camera (i would shoot raw or high jpeg not tiff, but thats my opinon). As i have a alot of files that are final images for prints in 8-bit tiffs format.

FWIW

Tooth

SeaYoda:
You can view RAW files with Camedia software that comes with the camera.

Here is the latest link for the RAW plugin for PS. I don't know if it works with PS6 but it does for PS7. It is a RAW converter and will convert one image at a time to work on.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/#plugins

GOOD NEWS I just looked and it says it will work with PS6!!!!!!!!

SeaYoda....Thanks for checking that out....hopefully it will solve his problem. Having never used PS 6, I don't know if PSE 3 is an upgrade in usability or not. When he first posted, I was concerned that he didn't have his pictures at all. I am glad we solved that part of the problem.

PS 8.5 is coming out, they are beta testing it now. There is a better camera raw in it with highlight recovery and other goodies. Since you are on a Windows machine you can look at some cheaper alternative for now.

Breezebrowser by http://www.breezesys.com/
Bibbble by http://www.bibblelabs.com/

They are great problems that does more then just convert RAW files. They have better conversion algorithms when it comes to Burnt out highlights.

crestgel

do you have links to where this beta is? will this be a free upgrade for those of us who have CS, or will we have to pay for the upgrade?

Tooth

SwimsWithSharks:
SeaYoda....Thanks for checking that out....hopefully it will solve his problem. Having never used PS 6, I don't know if PSE 3 is an upgrade in usability or not. When he first posted, I was concerned that he didn't have his pictures at all. I am glad we solved that part of the problem.
I have my eye open for things like this because I have an old computer that will not take an upgrade to Windows 2000 so I doubt if it would take XP which PS CS works with. That left me with Windows 98se and PS7 unless I bought a new computer with a new operating system and an upgrade to PS. Too much money for me to go RAW when SHQ is pretty good. After ReyeR posted the new link I grabbed the chance to upgrade the original RAW converter from OLY. It probably is nowhere near as good as buying PS CS but gives me the ability to do RAW for the right price :D. There are no RAW viewers that I've found for Windows 98se so I open the RAW files in the Camedia program to see them and note their filename (number) and then open that file with the RAW converter in PS7 to work on. It's a little awkward but works.

Scubatooth:
crestgel

do you have links to where this beta is? will this be a free upgrade for those of us who have CS, or will we have to pay for the upgrade?

Tooth

Nope I have no links to the beta. A beta tester told me about some stuff.

Back
Top Bottom