Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for their suggestions, so if I got it correctly, harness and BP are basically all the same (and it makes sense since it's just nylon and steel) and the wing is the important thing, in this regard, there are any brands to avoid/aim for? Thanks!

You could also probably just watched the for sale section of the scuba board and score a good deal on an entire setup... Which, if good quality, may just have to replace the webbing... But at like .85 a foot at piranha, you're not spending more than a couple bucks to do...

(I forgot to say that I live in UE, so if there are things which are easily available here it would be better)

So I would agree, plates are plates. Just make a choice lightweight Flex, mid weight AL or Heavy Steel. Harness- hogarthian or deluxe, make your choice.

Wings-
Basic group light monkey, HOG, DRIS, Halcyon etc... Simple donuts pick your lift.
Refined group
- Apex has an interesting shape that keeps things streamlined and trimmed.
- Hollis simple shape but has an internal bungie system that I like.
- XDeep- has a center mounted inflator that is unique, not sure it offers a solution that is needed, but their shape tends to out more lift down at your butt. They claim it helps keeps you in a better position on the surface, but I think it makes you butt light/head down under water.

I haven't seen one in person, but from pictures it would seem the freedom plate is an exception.
Respectfully
James
Freedom plate is awesome. But if you want to dive now, not 1-1.5 years from now, you’re better off buying a standard plate first, which is what I did. Put in an order for a freedom, get a cheap plate from DGX to use, and just when you start to forget you put your name in for a freedom plate it’ll be on your way to you!

Freedom plate is awesome. But if you want to dive now, not 1-1.5 years from now, you’re better off buying a standard plate first, which is what I did. Put in an order for a freedom, get a cheap plate from DGX to use, and just when you start to forget you put your name in for a freedom plate it’ll be on your way to you!
I'm rocking a plastic cutting board, slotted with a dremel... Doesn't get cheaper than that! Works like a champ, too!
Respectfully
James

My son's, but it's the same as mine;
20190919_144018.jpg

Thanks everybody for their suggestions, so if I got it correctly, harness and BP are basically all the same (and it makes sense since it's just nylon and steel) and the wing is the important thing, in this regard, there are any brands to avoid/aim for? Thanks!

A few things to consider:

Back plates are generally made of SS or Al although there are other materials too. The SS are a little heavier than the Al ones. Depending on the type diving you do, the amount of exposure protection used, the buoyancy characteristics of your tanks, weight usage and distribution, you may prefer one material over the over.

Some back plates may be finished a little nicer than others. Try to avoid one if it has sharp edges or burrs around the perimeter or inside the slots for for your harness.

There are two types of harnesses. The basic is one piece of webbing. The deluxe is in several pieces and has a plastic buckle on one chest strap which can make it easier to don on and off. The buckle is a potential failure point. When I first bought my BPW, I bought a deluxe harness. After a year, I replaced it with a one piece harness. In reality, it is just as easy to get one and off but YMMV. IF you wear at lest a t-shirt, I w think should straps are overkill.

Webbing for harnesses may be soft or stiff so that will be a consideration. A stiffer webbing will be easier to get on and off. Usually the crotch strap webbing is softer. Also the crotch strap may be 1, 1.5, or 2 inches wide which is another consideration. I have both a 1 and a 2" but my preference is the 2. Part of the reason is that the 1 inch has a plastic buckle which is a potential failure point. Comfort wise, it makes no difference to me as I wear at least a shorty.

Look for a 360 (donut) wing which means that air will circle around the entire bladder as opposed to a horseshoe shaped bladder. You will trim out a little better.

My family and I use a variety of DiveRite, Halcyon, and Oxycheq BPW products and have been happy with all. For your location, you may consider XDeep. While I have not dove their BPW products, I dive their Stealth Tec sidemount system, and it is a nice, quality product. XDeep has several dealers in Italy.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

Hi everyone,I have a question about backplates and wings, I'm interested in switching from BCD to BP/W and now I'm wondering what would be a good wing + backplate combo that can carry me on for years to come. I was watching the Apeks WTX D30, would it be a good choice for an "all-around" recreational wing ( I will dive most of the times in the Mediterran Sea with a wetsuit)? Thanks in advance!

I've also switched from BCD to PB/W. Found my best combination in the Tecline Donut 15 for single cilinder with stainless steel backplate and DIR harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom