Switzerland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I just need to pass my IE before the end of my notice period :p

So, you've actually resigned? I suspect a particular dive instructor is not very happy :p

So, you've actually resigned? I suspect a particular dive instructor is not very happy :p
Just realized who you are; the internet is nowhere as anonymous as it once was! :p

Only verbally, they've asked me for a few days (until Monday) to make a counteroffer... not holding my breath. He seemed pretty annoyed with me earlier this week, so possibly related... though it's been a stressful month either way.

Aiming for the 17/18 Dec IE in Stoney, and should have the AI done by Friday... so if you're up for a dive this Sunday let me know.

Greetings,
new member here (well, sort of... been hiding in the shadows for a while, reading) and have a query...

Is anyone in Zurich (or nearby) and regularly dives in Switzerland? Currently I dive inland in the UK, and am looking at potentially moving to Zurich... but would rather not swap my regs for skis just yet.

Found a few dive schools, but not any "social" groups or clubs that go diving on a regular basis in Switzerland, they all see to go abroad. I'm interesting in the lake around Zurich ideally... something to get wet at least twice a month or I may end up drying up like a prune.

M.

Hi,

There are a couple of local clubs that regularly go diving in Switzerland including lake Zurich, lake Bodensee etc.

Local ones include this one: Tauchclub Aquarius (I am a member)

this one:

Home - Tauchclub Bonario Zürich

& this one:

http://www.glaukos.ch/

Some of the dive schools also run regular dives.

Diving in lake Zurich - what can one say.

Visibility is very rarely great at the surface - typically for a couple of weeks in early spring.

Invariably at a depth between 10-20m or so there is a thermocline - below this the water is usually clear, pitch dark and a constant 6 C or so.

Diving is usually done in the lower end of the lake closer to Zurich where the lake is deeper and has more interesting features - usually walls.

Due to visibility not being that great at the surface most dives are to depths to at least 30m - often more.

With the water temperature being what it is you can just about dive in the summer with a very thick (7-10 with extra vest) wetsuit, gloves and full hood.

The rest of the year it's drysuit only - only time I ever tried it with a wetsuit in winter I ended up feeling cold for a very long time.

regards,

Rory

Hi,

There are a couple of local clubs that regularly go diving in Switzerland including lake Zurich, lake Bodensee etc.

Local ones include this one: Tauchclub Aquarius (I am a member)

this one:

Home - Tauchclub Bonario Zürich

& this one:

http://www.glaukos.ch/

Some of the dive schools also run regular dives.

Diving in lake Zurich - what can one say.

Visibility is very rarely great at the surface - typically for a couple of weeks in early spring.

Invariably at a depth between 10-20m or so there is a thermocline - below this the water is usually clear, pitch dark and a constant 6 C or so.

Diving is usually done in the lower end of the lake closer to Zurich where the lake is deeper and has more interesting features - usually walls.

Due to visibility not being that great at the surface most dives are to depths to at least 30m - often more.

With the water temperature being what it is you can just about dive in the summer with a very thick (7-10 with extra vest) wetsuit, gloves and full hood.

The rest of the year it's drysuit only - only time I ever tried it with a wetsuit in winter I ended up feeling cold for a very long time.

regards,

Rory
Thank you, that's amazing!

Do you mind if I ask you a further question? My German is quite... out of date. While I hope to (re)learn German fairly quickly, last time it took me almost a year... and I will dry up if I don't dive for a year! Are the dive-clubs "language challenged" friendly?

As for vis - I'm used to quarry diving in the UK... visibility of under 1-2 meters is... normal; so I doubt Zurich will be much worse. The temperature is a bit more worrying (my drysuit needs a new zipper... or a new drysuit). I'm used to 10C or thereabouts, 6C is a bit chilly... but I guess by adding an electric vest I should be ok... we'll see. May use this as the final excuse to get a new set of regs (no idea how I went from drysuit to regs :p)

m.

Different people read different things :)

View attachment 385160
I read it as: For most of my divetime tonight i will have bad / very bad visibility. :rant:

As you can see it is really confidential information. Maybe we will loose some tourists if they see these visibilities :rofl3:
Lake Zürich is well known for bad visibility. May dive in Lake Zug, Lake Lucerne or Walensee. They use to have much better visibility.

There ate many dive sports:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom