Swivel between smb and reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If need to swivel is truly an issue, try a "snap shackle." The image below (from my river diving slide set) shows the device. I like the snap shackle because, unlike most connectors, this device will open under full load.View attachment 779504

I am sorry, what exactly means will open full load ? Does that means that if the smb is pulling very hard the swivel will automatically open ?

Not necessarily kicking up, but ascending slowly and controlled…don’t “hang on the SMB”.

The line will still twist…not a lot can be done to stop that, although a swivel will limit it. Personally, if I was worried about “twisted” line, I would just fix it at the end of the dive day…run the spool in the parking lot, and re spool it while eliminating any twist. It’s really not that big of a deal though.

Yes, indeed. As a dm often times I have to dive over weighted. But we agree: kick up to go up slowly. As I guide, the time that I have between dives is crucial: 1h being the last one to leave the water and the first to go in, having to debrief and make a briefing again doesn't give a lot of time for anything else. Of course if I end up my day in a parking it takes 2min to untwist it but I don't always have that possibiliy.

You mentioned you run a spool (not a reel). I also run just a short 30ft line to my SMB from an eyebolt (same twists as a spool) I run a Stainless swivel at the SMB and then also a tiny swivel halfway up the line. This helps untwist the line, but a SINGLE swivel at the top won't help that much on 100ft of line. Like @tomfcrist said, The 100ft line will still twist because almost every wrap you put on the spool is a twist in the line depending how much pressure you put on it. In summary, even with a top swivel, you'll still have twists with a spool type holder. There are very small hand reels being sold, that can replace the spool (& the twists)

I have a 100ft spool apecks And I found that with this kind of line the twisting is very reduced. 99% of the time I release the smb from 15 to 35ft (safety stop). So if I understand well (again my English is not very good.. sorry for that..) you put 2 swivels: 1 as a connector between the smb and the line, 1 in the middle of the line. Is this correct ?

You can flip the spool every 5-10 revs to eliminate that twisting. It's the wind/wave spinning the DSMB that may still be an issue, but I've never found it to be a problem. Incidentally, I found that a swivel did NOT sufficiently compensate for the spool induced twisting (if I didn't flip it).

i think its an issue that is easily resolved and not worth putting in extra bits for - assuming youve shot an smb then your at the end of your dive - you can wind it up and and simply fix it up after the dive or you can get neutrally buoyant and let the smb untwist by letting go (unless you have significant current that is )- personally i do neither. if theres tensional twist in the line its likely going to untwist next time you shoot it

I will try both advices, it is not an issue in flat dives that I make (Switzerland lakes) but it is in some dives that I also do with high current (komodo, Sumatra, lembongan) where indeed often times exit is a bit critical due to the conditions. I am looking for a solution that can cover the different places where I dive. But I will try to release it in flat conditions for sure following your advice ! Thanks

Is this correct ?
Yes, Below is a picture of my setup & notations. I am a spearfisher and have alot of sharks that circle on my safety stop. The 30ft long stainless eye bolt allows me to just drop it and let the it hang below keeping my hands available while I discourage the sharks.

A swivel (s) need both tension & release to un-twist with a spool type holder. At 100ft or even 50ft of line there is not enough rotational force for a single top swivel to work. That is why I have a 2nd swivel to help the top swivel. All swivels as they age will hold some resistance to turning. But if you do add a swivel make sure it is a stainless steel, "ball-bearing" fishing swivel.

2colorSMB.jpg

Line Replacement items3.jpg

Yes, Below is a picture of my setup & notations. I am a spearfisher and have alot of sharks that circle on my safety stop. The 30ft long stainless eye bolt allows me to just drop it and let the it hang below keeping my hands available while I discourage the sharks.

A swivel (s) need both tension & release to un-twist with a spool type holder. At 100ft or even 50ft of line there is not enough rotational force for a single top swivel to work. That is why I have a 2nd swivel to help the top swivel. All swivels as they age will hold some resistance to turning. But if you do add a swivel make sure it is a stainless steel, "ball-bearing" fishing swivel.

View attachment 779561

View attachment 779564

You are the best !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom