Swivel for Fusion 52x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So my typical config is 40" hose with 90-degree swivel, both second stages.

My new 52x has a swivel but hose is into the side. While Mares sells a swivel, it looks to me like the hose is at least 1-1.2" into the VAD switch. It looks to me like I'd need a 2" fitting or hose to extend past the switch? Has anyone installed a swivel on this second stage?

Pic shows the 52x along with my typical config.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 204
Pic added.

It looks like a typical braided hose, it's just inset into a control knob. Looks to me it attaches inside about where the silver part starts. I've also seen a thread or two here where someone replaced the hose, just not with a swivel. I can't find any hoses shorter than 6".

I haven't worked on one yet, but I just checked my documentation. The hose itself is a standard hose used on several (maybe even all) Mares primary 2nd stages. It is the hose protector that is odd - it is actually threaded and screws into the 2nd stage VAD knob. I don't see why you couldn't just unscrew it and add a swivel - it just may not have a "finished" look. Go ahead and unscrew the hose protector and take a look to see what you think, and whether the lack of the threaded protector leaves anything problematic exposed, or if it looks like it makes it easier to accidentally unscrew the valve connector.

If you want. Go on eBay right now and look at mares carbon 52. One of them has that hose prpteftoe missing. Maybe you can better see in the pic on that particular ad. It's a used one.

no pics attached

@Lake Hickory Scuba any insight on whether the 52x wlil take a normal regulator hose or not?

@tbone1004 Hey Tom, just to clarify things, the 52X refers to the first stage which is paired with multiple second stages. The Fusion second stage has the VAD system, which in non fancy terms means it allows the user to adjust the volume of gas that comes through the second stage demand valve. This is completely different then adjusting the cracking pressure on a second stage (the adjustment knob on the left side of most adjustable second stages). The VAD system can be removed, and it should take any standard second stage hose. The only hiccup would be cosmetically, not being able to use the VAD hose protector..........Oh and I just took mine apart to verify, it does take a normal 3/8 hose.

@tbone1004 Hey Tom, just to clarify things, the 52X refers to the first stage which is paired with multiple second stages. The Fusion second stage has the VAD system, which in non fancy terms means it allows the user to adjust the volume of gas that comes through the second stage demand valve. This is completely different then adjusting the cracking pressure on a second stage (the adjustment knob on the left side of most adjustable second stages). The VAD system can be removed, and it should take any standard second stage hose. The only hiccup would be cosmetically, not being able to use the VAD hose protector..........Oh and I just took mine apart to verify, it does take a normal 3/8 hose.

Thanks, I've just been a bit busy to take mine off as I was working DM all last weekend and couldn't afford to have a reg down if something got screwed up. So it takes a hose but do you think there is clearance to take a 90 degree swivel?

Thanks, I've just been a bit busy to take mine off as I was working DM all last weekend and couldn't afford to have a reg down if something got screwed up. So it takes a hose but do you think there is clearance to take a 90 degree swivel?

@ReefHound, Yes there is clearance, you just won't be able to re-install the VAD hose protector. It will look a little awkward, but it will function just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom