Swivels and reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a Swivel is "useless" after the first wrap, or tie-off!!!!

Flip the spool/reel periodically.....

I have one on my DSMB reel, but not on any of my cave diving reels. I was taught to just spin them if needed. If you weren't able to spin them while winding, then pull off the length you used and rewind it once you get home

I may be looking to much into it but my thought is using the swivel u can keep one hand on the reel and one hand on the line the whole time. Where if u flip the reel u have to remove one hand and u have a chance at dropping or fumbling the reel and depending on the dive that could have the potential to be dangerous if it's a cave with the Deep drop off you could create an entanglement or and a high-flow cave there is also a chance for a potential entanglement. Now obviously the big thing here is "don't drop it" but things can happen

I may be looking to much into it but my thought is using the swivel u can keep one hand on the reel and one hand on the line the whole time. Where if u flip the reel u have to remove one hand and u have a chance at dropping or fumbling the reel and depending on the dive that could have the potential to be dangerous if it's a cave with the Deep drop off you could create an entanglement or and a high-flow cave there is also a chance for a potential entanglement. Now obviously the big thing here is "don't drop it" but things can happen
Relax bud. It’s a piece of plastic with string wrapped around it. Don’t over think it.

Slow is quick in cave diving. Slow everything down, this way you will not drop anything and your dives will be a lot more enjoyable.

Slow is quick in cave diving.

My flip-flops say something along those lines.

IMG_0135.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom