Swords, I mean knives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is there any good reason to carry anything bigger than a BC knive? What would I use it for? With that in mind, what is the best choice of BC knives, I’m looking at the OMS?

To answer your question properly I would need to know what kind of diving, and where you were diving? It is never a bad idea to carry two knives, as for the size and shape of those knives it depends on what kind of diving you are doing. For instance, if you are spearfishing or underwater hunting in any way, you might want a longer knife with a pointed tip for dispatching of prey. It is also nice to hav a longer blunt tip knife if you do a lot of exploring and migt need to pry something. Personally I carry a blunt tip U.S. divers 4 1/2 inch blade knife on my inner calf, an Underwater Kinetics Remora BC knife on my BC strap, and because of the fact that where I dive there are a lot of old trot- lines laying arond I also carry a pair of SeaSnips ( EMT Shears ) as I have found them to be the absolute best for cutting any kind of fishing line or cord that me or might dive buddy might get tangled in. I hope this helps..

PS- The Remora BC knife by Underwater Kinetics is an awesome little knife and you can get them at Scuba Toys and lots of other places.:mean:

I always carry a small "BC" knife and heavy duty scissors. If I intend to kill something, I carry my pig sticker too.
Rick

...but we leave them topside for boarding other boats to plunder and pillage.....

for diving...
I use a small kitchen paring knife that is very sharp but has a blunted tip so I don't stab myself...

It is held by friction fit in a little scabbard that I stitched out of weight belting...

I do carry shears in my pocket (clipped off with a double ended bolt snap) but the little paring knife is the only thing that ever sees any action....

My partner paid $36 for a small akona blunt tip knife that is almost as good...

How about your epee for a little underwater fencing? And for reaching a few shore diving sites I've seen a machete come out a time or two. But, I've never had a need for a dive knife, so all I take is a small, hose mounted knife.

Sharp is the key concept for it to be useful for cutting line, and size doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to make shish kabob, and can't think of a reason why a big knife is necessary.

Like TrueTexan, I also carry all three. I have an Ocean Master 4 1/2" on my leg a Remora on my BC and a pair of shears in a utility pocket.

Dive Safe ...........................Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom