Sync speed with old SL960D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am new to underwater flash, and am trying to understand sync issues with my Sony with a SL960D on Optic Cable slave. RD960D is set to either 1 preflash or 0 preflash to same effect.

I know it is an old flash and you may be having a laugh but I have resisted gathering too much kit, using - to now - a Sony RX100 II, in a Meikon housing on a tray (Gopro 4 Silver attached) with a reasonably strong LED.

I have flirted with the notion of a flash but never jumped in. So I picked up an old SL960D for a tenner to play with and it seems to work fine with the one issue - that with my Sony the flash seems to only sync at 125th/sec and lower. If I shoot above 125th the result is (usually) that the flash triggers too late (?). Occasionally it will time to sync at speeds higher but not consistently.

Is this low speed limit to sync normal behavior with this arrangement, or am I missing something or maybe the flash is in need of service.

Any thoghts would be welcomed! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom