Synergy 2 Mask Constantly Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattleach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently i purchased my first brand new mask, a Scuba Pro Synergy 2 Polarized Mask.

The sales person explained to me that with this particular mask, not to use any type of defog scrub to prep the mask. He said to simply use dawn dish soap, scum the mask a bit with it and let it sit for 45 minutes, then use defog as i normally would.

Ive used the mask about 4 times snorkeling and once diving since I've done this and the mask constantly fogs. Ive been applying sea gold fog gel before every use and within a few minutes, the mask fogs.

Im starting to think the dawn dish soap thing was a line of BS. Is it safe to use a scrub on this mask?

I have had great success using baby shampoo as defog. It works well and if it gets in your eyes no problem. Use the name brand J&J stuff though. I was out and ran in to a Family Dollar yesterday before a dive and all they had was their store brand. That stuff burns like pepper spray!
Try the baby shampoo as a defog and let me know if that fixes your problem.

Did you get the mirrored version?
Just read the whole Scubapro manual and product flyer which are complete crap. That kind of drivel is so useless they shouldn't even bother to publish it. The company ought to be embarrassed, which I'm sure they are not. .

I have that same mask.. (black and red version).. not sure if its polarized or not

I did the toothpaste scrubbing and use baby shampoo as defog. Works fine

I have a Synergy twin and also did a toothpaste scrub. I have had no problem with fogging.

Salesperson has no clue. That mask needs to be scrubbed just like any other.

Masks with an anti-reflective coating (usually mirrored looking) have a nano-thin coat of metal particles. Sometime the particles are put on too cold and end up too large, which makes them fog badly. You can use abrasives (toothpaste) and remove the coating, and the problem will probably go away, but you lose the anti-reflective coating. This is why you don't use toothpaste on a mask with an anti-reflective coating. OTOH, if you have the fogging problem the only real solution is replace the mask, or destroy that characteristic. I know this because I just got done dealing with this same issue.

This is where the scubapro manual is worthless. They tell you nothing of value or use about this possible problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom