• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Synthetic grease for Scubapro 1st stage

Discussion in 'Vintage Diving & Equipment' started by boat sju, Jan 12, 2021.

1. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If the ambient chamber is packed-just rinse off the first stage. You don't want to flush it out. If the first stage is not packed-then SOAK it over night; then it let completely dry before putting it away.

MedicMutt likes this.
  2. MedicMutt

MedicMutt Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    It appears to be packed with an appropriate type of grease. What I'm seeing looks like a pinhole in one of the vents. All of the others are solidly packed.

couv likes this.
  3. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    this cat really knows his stuff man

and the cool music times your mooves

Groovy man!

MedicMutt and couv like this.
  4. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

White or translucent? If it's expensive PTFE (white) grease and you have no boot to retain the grease I would be asking the dive shop for a refund on at least the extra charge for packing. If it is a thick silicone grease it may fair better in the long run. It is not likely to be silicone grease though as you've mentioned "SP authorized service." SP no longer recommends silicone grease for that application-an unfortunate change they made year ago.

How about a picture?

MedicMutt likes this.
  5. MedicMutt

MedicMutt Registered

Will do. It is translucent in appearance to my eye, but I'll definitely get a photo up here ASAP.

couv likes this.
  6. MedicMutt

MedicMutt Registered

I like it, for sure! I'm still a little shy about tearing into my dad's old gear, and don't have any tools or test equipment. On the flip side of that coin, I know I'm truly the only one that will give my gear TLC vs someone else that's just trying to make a buck.

7. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

There's probably no reason to tear into the regulator. Packed correctly or not it will work just fine. If it's packed fairly well with silicone grease and you want to top it up, take your syringe with more of the same type grease and squirt it into one of the ambient chamber holes. It should immediately ooze out of one or more of the other holes. Not having a boot will always cause a bit of grease loss as the piston will pump some of it out when the regulator is pressurized.

Does anyone else remember when we used to do this to tie rods, ball joints, etc. of our automobiles?

MedicMutt and rhwestfall like this.
  8. MedicMutt

MedicMutt Registered

I asked my wife to snap some pics for me since I'm at work today, so I'm sorry if they leave a little to be desired.
    IMG_20210612_121858.jpg IMG_20210612_121901.jpg IMG_20210612_121902.jpg IMG_20210612_121904.jpg

9. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

I cannot tell for sure, but that chamber does not looked packed. (Have another look at the video ~1:40) Packed as in totally filled with grease. But no matter (unless it's been in the water) just finish packing it with a syringe of grease. The problem with a partially packed chamber is that it will hold water.

Edit: I would not waist PTFE grease in that MK9 unless you can come up with something ingenious like @rsingler with his homemade boot. The problem is the hole size-OK for thick silicone, not OK for PTFE

MedicMutt likes this.
  10. boat sju

boat sju Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'd suggest using the stuff from Home Depot we were discussing earlier. Just get a syringe (no needle) and squirt some in from time to time.

MedicMutt likes this.