T3 Compatability with Din-Yoke Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is safe to use the various metal Din/Yoke adapters with the T3 regulator or is it required to match the metal of the adapter with the metal of the reg. I had a local dive shop tell me they have seen a fused adapter that couldn't be removed after someone mixed metals, and I wasn't sure if this was a realistic issue or if perhaps they were trying to up-sell a bit. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

so dissimilar metal issues are a real thing, however titanium isn't really corrosive, so it's unlikely. That also said, all of the valves are chrome plated brass, as are most of the din-yoke adapters. It isn't something I leave on my regulators, but it shouldn't be an issue.

If one got stuck, it was likely not dissimilar metal corrosion but salt deposits. That happens all the time to the convertible valves that don't have their inserts removed on a regular basis

Galvanic corrosion (what happens when dissimilar metals are immersed in a conductive solution like salt water) would only be an issue it your reg stayed wet pretty much all the time, as underwater fittings on a boat do. If it did, since titanium is very far up the noble end of the galvanic scale, a brass adapter would be the sacrificial anode end up being eaten away. But as tbone says, any such sticking as the shop saw is almost certainly salt deposits- which can indeed fuse things together so firmly they can be impossible to take apart. Having the same metal won’t help with that. On marine hardware we often use insulating greases, like Lanocoat, to prevent this sticking. A better solution is probably remove and rinse the adapter occasionally.

Thank you for all the assistance. I ended up getting a Titanium adapter to keep the entire kit the same metal and I simply made sure nothing stayed attached for too long, which was not so easy to do with the dive boat handling the equipment most of the time. In any case no issues encountered and the adapter performed well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom