• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Taboo

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Blackfrogfeet, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Edward3c

Edward3c Instructor, Scuba

I often go on overseas dive holidays on my own and have on occasion (mostly) been paired with less experienced buddies. Not hard when I’m an Advanced Instructor. On my last trip to Thailand, I encouraged a lead instructor to accompany me in rehearsing BSAC’s Buoyancy & Trip Workshop which I was running 2 days after returning to the U.K. If it had been a proper workshop I would have awarded them the Black standard (+/- 0.3m on multiple stops whilst demonstrating skills). By the way a top GUE instructor in the U.K. found the workshop challenging when their did it a few years ago.

Wibble likes this.
  2. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Magnificent! This one should go into The Oxford, definition of succinct

Padi ha ha ha ha ha, what a disgrace they can't even manage a manual
    but then why on earth would you need a manual for a course that's not

If you don't even understand the definition of solo, then get out of solo!

Padi I didn't learn a thing, diver No 1708axxxxxx was already self reliant

Solo divers ha ha ha ha cough ha ha ha ha prrft ha ha ha burp ha ha ha!

You can't help ignorance, so you just have to tough your way through
    I disappear behind a big rock “poof” and reappear 45 mins later “poof”

3. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Can you do that workshop with CCR? Now that would be an interesting challenge!

TBH a lot of the urge to not dive with a buddy is the feeling that there's an obligation to entertain them. I'm more than happy to spend ages watching a blenny, or inspecting a boiler, or just very slowly bimbling around. Always self-conscious that the 'buddy' would be bored.

James79 likes this.
  4. Edward3c

Why, a CCR should have the buoyancy skills.

5. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

CCR's a lot more annoying to do the finest of buoyancy adjustments which are so trivially easy in OC!

6. Edward3c

My experience is the complete opposite.
    I dive OC, but have done CCR introduction. When diving with CCR divers they appear to hold station without effort.

7. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

If you're completely still and there's no current (moving water) pushing you around, you will stay stable. But when you do move that gnat's crotchet, it soon starts the upward or downward movement that needs correction. In the absence of anything else, either dump or inject a little gas to tweak. Obviously with some practice it becomes a lot easier.

If hanging around at 6m/20' then the SMB line's useful to give that tiny correction without adding/dumping gas. (Generally have the large reel a few feet below bouncing up and down with the surface waves, with the line in front of me or running loosely through my fingers).

The irony is often that if you think about buoyancy it all goes to rats dodo! Can happily hold a 6m stop for literally hours, but doing it in front of a platform...!

8. Edward3c

The B&T Workshop isn't about holding station at 6m only. It involves holding a stop for 2 minutes at 12, 9, 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2m then 30 seconds at 1m. And that's only the acsent aspect of the workshop. There is a reference line. but holding onto it isn't allowed.

9. jlcnuke

jlcnuke Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It's one manual for instructor/student. Academic stuff covered in there as well as knowledge reviews. As a student I just had a copy without the answers included for the knowledge reviews.

10. VikingDives

VikingDives Mostly Harmless ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    It's actually quite good. I'm not sure I have the current one - mine is the distinctive specialty manual from 2011, but it isn't bad at all. It's probably the best instructor manual I've seen from PADI.