Taboo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens when they've paired you with an instabuddy who's not experienced in 'team' diving? For me getting a buddy means having explicit responsibility for someone else, with the absolute obligation to spend time monitoring what that person is doing. Little things, such as correct torch etiquette, not constantly swimming behind (where you can't see them), etc. Also, as I don't know the skills or experience of that person, I have to assume the worst and never expect any help from them. Big responsibility for few or no benefits in return.

This seems way too much like a job than diving for pleasure.

When diving in a team, there's lots of specific protocols and techniques used to maintain team awareness. For example using torches for signalling and positioning; knowing where to be in relation to other team members; clear signalling and hand signals, etc. Alas these skills are rarely known in recreational diving which makes it hard and frustrating, and more so when diving with people who can't fin without kicking up silt, or who's buoyancy and positioning is mediocre.

Maybe that's why I spend most of my diving solo, or diving with other solo divers.
I often go on overseas dive holidays on my own and have on occasion (mostly) been paired with less experienced buddies. Not hard when I’m an Advanced Instructor. On my last trip to Thailand, I encouraged a lead instructor to accompany me in rehearsing BSAC’s Buoyancy & Trip Workshop which I was running 2 days after returning to the U.K. If it had been a proper workshop I would have awarded them the Black standard (+/- 0.3m on multiple stops whilst demonstrating skills). By the way a top GUE instructor in the U.K. found the workshop challenging when their did it a few years ago.

Solo means exactly that: solo. Nobody else to help. Rock up, dive, get out, go home -- nobody else around. There's nobody to help, nobody to do a 'buddy check', nobody to carry your kit, etc.

Magnificent! This one should go into The Oxford, definition of succinct

Padi ha ha ha ha ha, what a disgrace they can't even manage a manual
but then why on earth would you need a manual for a course that's not

If you don't even understand the definition of solo, then get out of solo!

Padi I didn't learn a thing, diver No 1708axxxxxx was already self reliant

Solo divers ha ha ha ha cough ha ha ha ha prrft ha ha ha burp ha ha ha!

The other day I had a realization that the single biggest thing that made me feel uncomfortable solo diving before, was just the stigma attached to it, especially by certain groups of divers who are vehemently opposed to it.

You can't help ignorance, so you just have to tough your way through
I disappear behind a big rock “poof” and reappear 45 mins later “poof”

I often go on overseas dive holidays on my own and have on occasion (mostly) been paired with less experienced buddies. Not hard when I’m an Advanced Instructor. On my last trip to Thailand, I encouraged a lead instructor to accompany me in rehearsing BSAC’s Buoyancy & Trip Workshop which I was running 2 days after returning to the U.K. If it had been a proper workshop I would have awarded them the Black standard (+/- 0.3m on multiple stops whilst demonstrating skills). By the way a top GUE instructor in the U.K. found the workshop challenging when their did it a few years ago.
Can you do that workshop with CCR? Now that would be an interesting challenge!

TBH a lot of the urge to not dive with a buddy is the feeling that there's an obligation to entertain them. I'm more than happy to spend ages watching a blenny, or inspecting a boiler, or just very slowly bimbling around. Always self-conscious that the 'buddy' would be bored.

Why, a CCR should have the buoyancy skills.
CCR's a lot more annoying to do the finest of buoyancy adjustments which are so trivially easy in OC!

CCR's a lot more annoying to do the finest of buoyancy adjustments which are so trivially easy in OC!
My experience is the complete opposite.
I dive OC, but have done CCR introduction. When diving with CCR divers they appear to hold station without effort.

My experience is the complete opposite.
I dive OC, but have done CCR introduction. When diving with CCR divers they appear to hold station without effort.
If you're completely still and there's no current (moving water) pushing you around, you will stay stable. But when you do move that gnat's crotchet, it soon starts the upward or downward movement that needs correction. In the absence of anything else, either dump or inject a little gas to tweak. Obviously with some practice it becomes a lot easier.

If hanging around at 6m/20' then the SMB line's useful to give that tiny correction without adding/dumping gas. (Generally have the large reel a few feet below bouncing up and down with the surface waves, with the line in front of me or running loosely through my fingers).

The irony is often that if you think about buoyancy it all goes to rats dodo! Can happily hold a 6m stop for literally hours, but doing it in front of a platform...!

If you're completely still and there's no current (moving water) pushing you around, you will stay stable. But when you do move that gnat's crotchet, it soon starts the upward or downward movement that needs correction. In the absence of anything else, either dump or inject a little gas to tweak. Obviously with some practice it becomes a lot easier.

If hanging around at 6m/20' then the SMB line's useful to give that tiny correction without adding/dumping gas. (Generally have the large reel a few feet below bouncing up and down with the surface waves, with the line in front of me or running loosely through my fingers).

The irony is often that if you think about buoyancy it all goes to rats dodo! Can happily hold a 6m stop for literally hours, but doing it in front of a platform...!
The B&T Workshop isn't about holding station at 6m only. It involves holding a stop for 2 minutes at 12, 9, 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2m then 30 seconds at 1m. And that's only the acsent aspect of the workshop. There is a reference line. but holding onto it isn't allowed.

There's a student manual for the PADI Self-Reliant course now?

I will say I'm always disappointed when SDI instructors don't take advantage of SDI's policy of supporting them adding sensible performance requirements and dives.

It's one manual for instructor/student. Academic stuff covered in there as well as knowledge reviews. As a student I just had a copy without the answers included for the knowledge reviews.

There's a student manual for the PADI Self-Reliant course now?

I will say I'm always disappointed when SDI instructors don't take advantage of SDI's policy of supporting them adding sensible performance requirements and dives.

It's actually quite good. I'm not sure I have the current one - mine is the distinctive specialty manual from 2011, but it isn't bad at all. It's probably the best instructor manual I've seen from PADI.

Back
Top Bottom