Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided that I wanted do a Spring diving trip to somewhere that I have not been before. I started looking at Puerto Galera in the Philippines. I live in upstate NY and have dove several places in the Caribbean, Florida and Eastern Seaboard and want to broaden my diving horizons. I mentioned this to my non-diving wife and she would like to go also but she does not want to go to the Philippines. I started to search around what areas are not horrific to get to from the East Coast, have good diving, my wife would enjoy while I dive, and are somewhat controllable in cost (money is an object). My wife lived in France many, many years ago and still retains some of the language and is a Francophile so thought of Tahiti. That seems to tick the boxes except possibly cost. My initial plan is to fly into the island of Tahiti and spend five nights there diving in the morning and seeing the island in the afternoons as a couple. We would then take the ferry to Moorea for five nights and I would dive as much as I can there. We would then ferry back to Tahiti to fly home.
I do not have a handle on the cost yet. I am going to research and make some calls tomorrow.
Would anyone with knowledge of the area care to comment on whether this sounds like a decent plan. I know the diving on some of the outer Islands is better but I do not think they are in play this trip.
Thanks

I decided that I wanted do a Spring diving trip to somewhere that I have not been before. I started looking at Puerto Galera in the Philippines. I live in upstate NY and have dove several places in the Caribbean, Florida and Eastern Seaboard and want to broaden my diving horizons. I mentioned this to my non-diving wife and she would like to go also but she does not want to go to the Philippines. I started to search around what areas are not horrific to get to from the East Coast, have good diving, my wife would enjoy while I dive, and are somewhat controllable in cost (money is an object). My wife lived in France many, many years ago and still retains some of the language and is a Francophile so thought of Tahiti. That seems to tick the boxes except possibly cost. My initial plan is to fly into the island of Tahiti and spend five nights there diving in the morning and seeing the island in the afternoons as a couple. We would then take the ferry to Moorea for five nights and I would dive as much as I can there. We would then ferry back to Tahiti to fly home.
I do not have a handle on the cost yet. I am going to research and make some calls tomorrow.
Would anyone with knowledge of the area care to comment on whether this sounds like a decent plan. I know the diving on some of the outer Islands is better but I do not think they are in play this trip.
Thanks
If you want to dive in French Polynesia, head to Rangiroa, Fakarava or Tikehau. I'd pass on spending time or diving in Tahiti itself. Moorea is supposed to be very nice - though not sure about the diving there?

Thanks for the reply. I took that into consideration. I would want to go to at least Fakarava but my non-diving wife had no desire to go there and prefered Tahiti and Moorea. As the list of islands expanded so did the cost. I have cancelled the flights (in 24 hrs) and revisited the French Polynesia plan. I am now looking at the Guanacaste coast of Costa Rica. The visibility will not be near as good but is still supposedly excellent diving, especially if I make it to Bat Island. It is still an adventure at less than half the cost. Maybe another time.

why not martinique or one of the other french speaking caribbean islands?

We loved Fiji but we have been there. Martinique would be interesting but I am becoming intrigued with some of the inland jungle activities available in Costa Rica to combine with the diving. (Plus I am not the Francophile and I am the one doing the planning).

Good to know. We stopped in Fiji for several days (diving) on the way back from an extended (non-diving) trip to New Zealand. That was tied for our second best ever trip.

If you do Costa Rica rent a jeep and drive inland. I recommend rincon de la vieja for a rugged and scary drive up the side of a dormant volcano. Monteverde is nice.
Costa Rica is not as raw as it once was. It has become one giant time share with zip lines everywhere.
We were in Oaxaca Mexico this summer past and it was awesome. Look into puerto escondido in particular. Very chill and the diving was decent. Surfing is even better.

Thanks, we were just discussing renting a vehicle for inland trips. From you comments it sounds like we better get to Costa Rica before it becomes too Disneyfied. I feel a similar way about zip lines as I do about cruise ships (not positive).

Reactions: CWK
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom