Taiwan diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I dont write it now it'll seem like a memory, but weekend 27/28 March 2010 headed to Kenting,

Saturday 27/03 heading out with local guide from "Newport dive Centre", made two good shore dives heading to the "pill box" site - out to the very old skeleton of a wooden framed boat laying at around 30m, with abundance of life, the largest shellfish I have seen to date (being a type of snail with shell at least 400mm long, the largest lionfish I have seen to date being around the same dimension and clouds of baby fish around 2~3 mm long, more abundant than I have seen anywhere else - guess it's the time of year !

Second dive after the swim across a small harbour and descent, a totally different dive with good rocky outcrops, plenty of the normal life, nudis, soft corals, small various fish and seemingly an abundance of baby lobsters.

Sunday 28/03, with my buddy we met up with "papillon614" (who contacted me via the buddy search on scubaboard) and then managed to get onto a boat organised by Andy of www.taiwandive.com - Kenting - Green Island - Orchid Island - XiaoLiuChiu to head out to 'Independent Rocks" in the middle of the bay. I love that places to dive, great sheer walls, abundant life, excellent hard, soft and whip corals, teeming with fish, a large moray to say bye to us before first ascent, and whilst Andy had some students with him, it was reassuring that we had him and "Harry" a local dive master joining us to show us some sights.

Two excellent boat dives, water 24~25C, visibility 20M+, no currents and the only disappointment being that just a couple of minutes after we finished our first dive and were on the boat, a pod of at least 10 dolphins swam between the rocks we had just come away from, oh to have been in the water at that time :( ~ of the guys on the boat who had dived the area for the last 20 years, they had never seen dolphins in that bay before, so things are looking up !

Kenting, Taiwan, good dives.

Hi, I am looking for a buddy for diving in Kending during coming wknd, April 17th-18th. Anybody heading south there? I m AOWD, nitrox, 100+ dives and can speak Chinese, so it should be not a big problem to get around. I am just now trying to get more information about local conditions, prices etc. Plan is to dive on wknd, but if everything goes fine, i am free till Tuesday. Let me know!

Hi, I am looking for a buddy for diving in Kending during coming wknd, April 17th-18th. Anybody heading south there? I m AOWD, nitrox, 100+ dives and can speak Chinese, so it should be not a big problem to get around. I am just now trying to get more information about local conditions, prices etc. Plan is to dive on wknd, but if everything goes fine, i am free till Tuesday. Let me know!

I'll be there but already have plans. If you can't find a buddy who knows the shore dive sites and you are willing to pay a modest guide fee, there are countless options. A couple of folks I'm on good terms with are Mr. Hsieh and Nen-Nen Tsai of New World Dive Center. I don't think they'd mind me sharing their contact info: Mr. Hsieh, scubacer@gmail.com Nen-Nen, nengjen@gmail.com If you want to do boat diving, you might try the folks at Long Jing Dive Center, boss@longjing.com.tw or Nan Qing (South Green) Dive Center, south.green@msa.hinet.net New World, Long Jing, and Nan Qing all offer reasonably-priced dorm accommodations (around NT$400 - 800 / night) if you don't want a hotel.

Conditions: water temperatures of 24-26 C, visibility 8 - 30 meters depending upon prevailing conditions and dive site chosen (usually 12-18m), usually easy diving except for getting in and out of the water. (However, beware of the possibility of strong currents at "the Pillbox", in Chinese "Hejie" 合&#30028:wink:. Prices for shore diving: cylinders NT$200 - 250 each; a vehicle to drive to and from the dive sites usually NT$400 for a half-day (sometimes better prices); full equipment rental around NT$1000 per day. EANx is an additional hundred or two hundred per cylinder, but you don't need it at most shore dive sites (合界 is one of the only really deep ones). Don't know the shore diving guide fee, but I expect it'd be reasonable. Boat diving around NT$1500 or 1600 for 2 dives.

Last edited:
I'll be heading down to Kenting for a 24/25 April.

25 April sorted, fingers crossed out on a taiwandive.com organised boat, but Saturday 24 April any info on a boat going out that my buddy and I can jump on to get some boat dives in appreciated.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom