Taking bacon to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northern sole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My friend lives in Dahab and has asked me to take him some bacon out next week, whats the penalty for getting caught at customs with it, is it just confiscated or something more severe.

31 degrees forecast for Monday , can't wait..

6 sleeps to go.

N.S

My friend lives in Dahab and has asked me to take him some bacon out next week, whats the penalty for getting caught at customs with it, is it just confiscated or something more severe.

31 degrees forecast for Monday , can't wait..

6 sleeps to go.

N.S
Considering how relaxed and tourist friendly Egypt is for a muslim country I cant imagine the penalty (if its at all against regulations) being more than bakseesh and possibly confiscation of the tasty animal parts at hand..

Thats got to be one of the best thread titles I've seen in a while :D

I can't vouch for Egypt but I did live in the UAE for quite a few years and things such as bacon are very easy to find in the local supermarkets, they are just kept in a different area and clearly marked 'pork products'.

I'd say Egypt is more relaxed than the UAE (although they are both pretty relaxed!) so I would doubt there would be any problems - Although it's a Muslim country it also has a very large Christian population.

The one thing I'd say is any Muslim staff will be offended if you don't declare the bacon and they then pick it up. Touching tend to be a no-no for any strict Muslims.

There probably more chance of having it confiscated because it's a preserved food rather than a pork product - I'm pretty sure you would technically need to declare it to customs on arrival - It's worth checking with the customs website though.

Hopefully the above may help in saving your bacon :rofl3:

Karl

OK thanks guys probably give it a go, if it get confiscated tough titty.

Didnt fancy spending any time in an Egyptian jail when I could be diving.:D

N.S

Bacon is precious merchandise in Egypt
It is not found in super market and some places have it on occasion (same as you someone came with a suitcase full)
There are no dogs and no consistent inspection processes so do not worry

BRING BACON!

Seriously - I havent had a good fry-up for ages - lots of people bring it in - and good sausages and lots of other yummy stuff!! Pack it in a chiller bag in your suitcase - no worries.

Pork used to be freely available here, it was only the advent of swine flu that cause it to be eliminated. I have a feeling that was a bit of pandering to more conservative political ideals but I'm gagging for a bacon sandwich so I shall refrain from making comment.

What I wouldn't give for a decent pork pie.... *dreams*

Enjoy your bacon sarnies folks, cos the kentucky fried camel wears a bit thin after a while! :D

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Crowley

We struggle to get decent bacon here in North Cyprus so have to go over the border to the Greek side where it is in abundance, fresh, tasty and dirt cheap, however in 4 years here I have yet to see a pig.

N.S

BRING BACON!

Seriously - I havent had a good fry-up for ages - lots of people bring it in - and good sausages and lots of other yummy stuff!! Pack it in a chiller bag in your suitcase - no worries.

Pork used to be freely available here, it was only the advent of swine flu that cause it to be eliminated. I have a feeling that was a bit of pandering to more conservative political ideals but I'm gagging for a bacon sandwich so I shall refrain from making comment.

What I wouldn't give for a decent pork pie.... *dreams*

Enjoy your bacon sarnies folks, cos the kentucky fried camel wears a bit thin after a while! :D

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Crowley
Haha, reminds me of my 2nd to last trip to sharm..
We tried having the reception on the hotel call kfcamel for a late-night snack (like 1am maybe), so we ordered our kfc, paid the ******* tax for bringing food into the hotel and waited happilly with our beer.. and then the mcdonalds dude came. Bummer! I think I need to learn arabic to avoid confusions like that in the future :rofl3:

hah Nice post, Im a vegetarian but I would imagine bacons hard to get. I spend 6 monthes in Dahb and didnt cross paths with it once Im sure your frind will love you.

Tigerman, your video link to the ear drum dive medic lecture was really interesting to see, makes me wonder how long mine will last with the bounce diving we do at work.

No problems at the Sharm el Sheikh airport - no dogs, no check of luggage on arrival.
I brought 30kgs on a trip back in September - and then again some 35kgs on a trip back in October.
Only place I came close to an inspection was when checking in back home - had the extra rucksack labelled 'dive gear' and was asked 'Do you have any tanks in there?'...and to that I could honestly answer 'no' (just frozen bacon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom