Taking the green water colour out of a video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NFLFan92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A.W. Perry wreck dive October 9 - YouTube

Just bought a Go Pro Hero 1080 and did some video of a wreck in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The water here in the Atlantic does have a green colour to it, but I'm wondering how I can enhance the colour of what I'm shooting. I've attached a youtube link to the video so you can see the video for yourself. I have a flat port lens coming to fix the blur issues and no strobe or lighting was used. The video was shot in between 45 and 99 feet of water. Any recommendations to help out (filters/strobes etc) Thanks ... and be nice please :D !!!

I'm not sure what flat port you have ordered, but the best solution for those water conditions would be to use a urpro green water filter. This would be easiest with a blurfix adapter which is designed with filters in mind and makes it very easy to use them for underwater video with the gopro.

I do have a green water filter but haven't had a chance to try it yet as I haven't been in much green water lately. Have had very good results using the regular cyan filter though in blueish waters.

You can try and use software but looking at your footage the RGB channels will have lots of green no red and a little blue so I don't think software alone will give any decent results without using a filter. It does look a little dark in the video, so not sure what the results will be with a filter as it does need some good light to work best but its still about the only real option for longer distance shots in such water conditions.

Lights will help but only for close up objects as they don't do much beyond 3-4ft underwater.

Yeah the reds drop off pretty quickly. You either have to take it down with you in the form of lights... But as mentioned, they're only reasonable in close proximity.

or take a filer with you, may help a bit, but you're gonna lose some light.

If you try to boost the red channels in post, it can look awful, but the better the sensor the more colour information it will collect (taking compression out of the equation).

If you're going to get lights, make sure you will illuminate the full coverage of the camera, otherwise you'll get a spot light or car headlight affects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom