Suggestion Tampa bay sub-forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D

dgiese01

New
Reaction score
Anybody in here live in the Tampa Bay area? I'm new to diving and am looking for a buddy or 5... My only friend who dives lives in GA so we can only dive together a few times a year. I'm getting a little sick of always being at the mercy of dive charters all the time.

I'm not into any specialty or difficult dives yet, I just want to log some nice easy dives for awhile until I get more comfortable and then the real fun can begin!

NetDoc:
Yes, of course they would.

North would be south to Ocala
Central would be from Daytona south to Bradenton/Ft Pierce.
South would be South of all that.

We would retain the Conch Divers Forum and have three happy "Trip" forums. I know, I would love to come over to Tampa for some diving as y'all are only a couple hours drive, tops. :D

Sounds good to me.

scubafool:
A thread on this same subject in the Florida Conch forum kinda flew the coop while I was typing up a reply (hey, I type slow, what can I say), so I will post it here.

As follow;

I tried to post earlier today, but my connection was dragging it's hiney bigtime.

I personally don't see the need for particular areas of the state to be in subforums at this time. As I see it, the need for subforums is created by the large volume of threads in a particular forum, to the point that it is difficult to find the threads that are of interest to you in a timely manner.

For instance, if all of ScubaBoard were to be contained in one gigantic forum, a new thread would be into the second or the third page of the forum before you could read it and reply. Obviously, most threads would disappear and never develop if this were the case, and also, there would be so many threads that were of no interest to most of the board users that the board would be virtually unusable.

On the flip side, I am sure that there are ongoing discussions here on ScubaBoard that I would like to be involved in that I will never see, just because they are not in the various subforums that I browse. I only have so much time to invest in this board (sorry, NetDoc), and I have to be selective as to where I spend that time. Every time a new subforum is created, my ability to interact with and benefit from the board is reduced.

Obviously, a crowded forum also detracts from the experience, and attaining a balance that works might be problematic for the supervisors/administrators. I think that they have done a really fantastic job so far.

As far as the subforum in question is concerned. I honestly don't see very many threads in either of the Florida forums concerning Tampa Bay area diving, and I personally don't have any problem keeping current with both forums, so I don't think the benefit is very large. Compared to the added time in keeping up with another subforum in the Florida area that this would introduce, I feel it would be a net minus for the majority of the users.

Therefore, I voted no.

Can I still come down and dive with you guys, though? Pwease, please, pretty please, and I'll buy airfills?

OK, but you have to buy the beer and the air, cause you voted no....LOL:D

archman:
Isn't this sort of thing currently done on the general Florida forum? I certainly see plenty of "who wants to dive with me?" postings in there. Seems to work rather well.

Even if you only check the Florida forum once or twice a week, there's still not that many new threads generated. Thus a request to see "who's diving Tampa this weekend?" isn't going to get lost in the mix for several days, at least.

Now if there's a dedicated group of active, local divers, that's call for a club-type subforum. Those tend to be pretty effective for organizing and coordinating local jaunts, which appears to be your primary interest. Have you considered setting up a Tampa diving club forum?

Humm, Here I go again.....from the frying pan into the fryr....would my fellow Tampa Area divers like to get together some day at a local Denny's or something and form a dive club, then we might get netdoc ( if he isn't sick of me already) to give us a semi-pvt club...I'm really not this much of a pot stirrer in real life, I promise.:D

N@rco$i$:
Humm, Here I go again.....from the frying pan into the fryr....would my fellow Tampa Area divers like to get together some day at a local Denny's or something and form a dive club, then we might get netdoc ( if he isn't sick of me already) to give us a semi-pvt club...I'm really not this much of a pot stirrer in real life, I promise.:D

Hush boy!!!!!:D :whack: Lets keep diving together and see how things progress. Hows that?

NetDoc:
Yes, of course they would.

North would be south to Ocala
Central would be from Daytona south to Bradenton/Ft Pierce.
South would be South of all that.

We would retain the Conch Divers Forum and have three happy "Trip" forums. I know, I would love to come over to Tampa for some diving as y'all are only a couple hours drive, tops. :D

Sounds great!

Narcosis, I got your pm about diving. Perhaps when this gets done you could be the first to post about the dive you were talking about!

NetDoc, it would be awesome to have you for some diving.

Missdirected:
Hush boy!!!!!:D :whack: Lets keep diving together and see how things progress. Hows that?

Ohh, ok.......{steps off soap box, puts down pot stirrer}

scubafool:
Can I still come down and dive with you guys, though? Pwease, please, pretty please, and I'll buy airfills?
You can come down here to dive anytime David.
If you can't find someone to go with PM me,I'll go

And sorry about the fills,but I keep my tanks full,and ready to go:D
Brian

I think I'm warming up to the idea of "trip forums". The problem I've had is it seems Tampa Bay divers are a fairly small group (so far) and tend to get lost in the flood of posts from other areas, especially SE FLA. If I post an invite to dive, by the end of the day it's on page 5 and almost no one goes past page 3!

BTW, I like Narc's idea to meet up. Just name a time and place. Then I'll tell if it fits in my horrid schedule!

Also, anybody going out this weekend? Unfortunately, the Irish Wake is still under repair. The old girl is being a little stubborn about having her knickers pulled off!

frogman_5:
BTW, I like Narc's idea to meet up. Just name a time and place. Then I'll tell if it fits in my horrid schedule!

I would get back on my soap box about that, but Missdirected keeps hitting me in the head with a pipe.

Missdirected:

:sprint: Between the conspiracy to make me max out the credit card buying beer and airfills and the random pipe beatings that seem to be occurring down there, I am not getting the warm fuzzies concerning diving with you guys.:sprint:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom