Tandem Kayak Info???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry in advance for the long post...I was hoping someone could give me some insight. I've been looking to get started in kayak diving. I do a lot of diving in Venice for shark teeth, fossils, etc.... I can't afford to go on a charter every weekend, so I was thinking a kayak would be a great way for me fill in the weekends that I'm not going out on a charter. Plus, I think it would be a lot of fun. I've done some kayaking in the past, but have never owned my own. Here's where I have some questions... I was leaning towards getting a tandem kayak so that I could bring a dive buddy with me. It would also be nice to have someone along with me on regular kayak outings, and since none of my friends have kayaks, I thought I would get a tandem. The thing is, I don't see very much written about tandem kayak diving. Do any of you use a tandem kayak to dive with a buddy from? Is the weight of 2 people and their gear too much and that's why I don't see much about it, or am I just looking in the wrong places? I would greatly appreciate some feedback so I can get a better idea of what to look for. If you do tandem kayak dive, any suggestions on kayaks to look for?

Also, not to sound cheap, but I saw a tandem kayak at Sports Authority for a lot less than other places. I know less is not always a good thing, but I liked that it was a tandem kayak that says can also easily be handled solo. I don't want a huge kayak that I cant handle if I go out on it by myself. It was a Pelican Apex 130T. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks again for any help you can give me!!!

Hi artistdiver,

I have been kayak diving since 03 for many of the same reasons that you are interested in, namely, it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run. I have never used a tandem kayak nor do I know anyone who does. I would think that it would be a little bit difficult. One of the main skills needed for kayak diving is the ability to keep things balanced & with 2 people & gear that might be hard. Like I said, I've never tried it & someone may pop in here and say different. Be careful when looking to buy a yak. Different yaks are made to do different things. You definitely want a sit on top. I have a cobra Fish/Dive yak & I have never (knock on wood) rolled it. There are several other Venice Yak divers who have different models & I'm sure they will jump in at some point to tell you about theirs.

I sold kayaks for years and I used to be ACA certified.

Overwhelmingly the kayaks that I saw for sale at Dicks, Sports Authority, so on so forth, were not the best kayaks.

Not the best designs. Poor primary and/or secondary stability for their intended market. More or less plowed through the water as opposed to slicing through the water. Not the best hardware. So on and so forth.

The insider joke of the two person kayak, aka tandem kayak, was they were called divorce boats. It can be frustrating if the other person is paddling correctly, so on so forth.

Aside from that, tandem kayaks really, truly aren't meant to be paddled solo. I don't care if the rear seat slides to the middle. If you think you may be paddling alone more than half the time, get a single person kayak.

Something to think about with all kayaks is their weight capacity. Often times, the manufactures do not give out the weight capacity on recreational kayaks. One Confluence Rep told me they give about 225#'s per person. Think about the weight of two adult divers with gear.

I have never SCUBA dived off a kayak, free diving yes, SCUBA no.

I had found that there were definitely a few sit on top kayaks that were a dream to paddle (which coming from an instructor POV, 'dream to paddle' and 'sit on top' should go in the same sentence). The Wilderness System Tarpon, Tarpon - Wilderness Systems Kayaks, specifically the 16ft. You could paddle that one all day. Great blend of primary and secondary stability. Very comfortable. Very efficient in the water. They offer that one in a 14 and 12 ft model as well.

A longer boat is going to be more efficient and faster in the water. A longer boat isn't going to be a maneuverable as a shorter boat. You've got to figure out the trade off.

Aside from the boat, I cannot emphasize enough on buying the lightest paddle you can afford. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PADDLE. Think about it. You need to hold this out in front of you and move it all day. Light is good. A crappy boat is not as crappy with a good paddle. A good boat can be crappy with a crappy paddle.

I would not go to your big box stores. I would go to you local outdoor retailer that sells kayaks. They often have demo days in which you can try a variety of boats, for free. Mad Paddlers.com - Kayak and Fishing Center Here is a link to some Tampa kayak shop and their demo day info.

If you have any questions about kayaks, PM me.

Chris

I use a Pelican Apex tandem kayak for yak diving, but I use the forward seat position for gear and have never tried diving with another person in my yak. With gear forward it paddles well and seems to balance well. I have a cargo netting over the forward area to help secure gear in the event of an unexpected role over. I don't think it would be possible or practical to try buddy diving from one yak, not that one anyway.

Dag Mike, I never realized your boat was a tandem. Course, I forgot it was orange too. Tee Hee.

Thank you all for your insight!

paddler3d, that's is a lot of useful info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it out. I may take you up on offer for further tips when I start shopping around.

Shark Watcher, thanks for your thoughts on the Pelican yak. Do you take it out to the boneyard? Hey, I just realized that Barbara and I were out with you and Capt Jamie this past Friday. Looking forward to getting out again. Hope to see you out there!...Greg

Yes I have taken my yak out to the boneyard a few times, but not this year. if you venture that far, keep a sharp on on conditions and either carry an anchor heavy enough to keep your yak from drifting or connect it an tow.

FYI.. there is a sale going on in the keys on demo kayaks.
RENTAL BOATS ON SALE
Still some left..

artisdiver,
I use a tandem Malibu Two Ocean Kayak. It can hold two freedivers both around 200 pounds or more with no problem. I can fit 2 tanks and solo dive from it too, although a bit tipsy, it is very manageable. However, two tanks and two divers would be a bit a bit overkill on the Malibu Two :D.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom